• Register Today It's free!

White residue in oil (picture)

WolfZone

Reaction score
City, State
Magalia, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Eddie Bauer 4.6L
So I changed my oil yesterday and today caught something I've not seen before, I didn't even notice this while cleaning up. but after pouring the oil back into the containers to recycle last night, I come out this morning to the table and see the pan I drained into has a white residue along the bottom that settled, I know this can be water in the engine, but I've not seen any milky residue on the fill cap or dipstick at all. is this something to be concerned about or can this happen because I left this pan out over a foggy night?

whiteoil.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you left it outside on a foggy night, that could easily be dew. If it came out of the motor, it would have been noticeable immediately.

Thats what I was hoping for, that over night would do that, I checked the sealed containers I drained into and they have no residue. Much releaved :D

Were you experiencing high humidity conditions when the pan was left out or did it rain in the pan?

Good that you still had the old fluid for inspection. I would be freaking out also.

Its been foggy late night and mornings here, that's why I was curious if that would be a cause, I wasn't sure if the oil had to be heated to do that with water or what. Thanks for the reassurance.

if you had water in the motor you would have noticed right away when you started draining the oil. And if the fill cap and dipstick look clean than your probably fine, unless your losing coolant.

Interesting point. If any water was in the oil above the point of absorption, then the water should come out first when you pull the drain plug, as the oil would float on top of any water.

I wonder if it varies with the amount of water?

Thats what I was hoping for, that over night would do that, I checked the sealed containers I drained into and they have no residue. Much releaved :D

Based on the external environment you described with fog etc and the sealed containers with no "whiteness" and only black oil I would put this one to bed. Crisis averted ...... for now.

Back