Just replaced front air shocks, haven't heard air ride comp turn on since. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just replaced front air shocks, haven't heard air ride comp turn on since.

rs2k

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Ram 1500 Laramie
I just got done replacing plugs, fuel filter, 5th shock, and the two front air shocks on my 1998 AWD Eddie Bauer 5.0 Ford Explorer (Rear shocks were recently replaced). While I was replacing the front left shock the air compressor for the air ride system turned on. As soon as it did I turned off the system via the switch on the back. Once the job was done I turned the switch back on.

Since I've replaced the shocks I've noticed a few things.

1st, the truck is now riding on a cloud (Nice and smooth :D).
2nd, I haven't had any more air ride errors on the message center.
3rd, the air ride compressor hasn't turned on since I've turned off the switch.
4th, the left side of the truck is a good inch or two lower than the right side (It was like this before I replaced the worn shocks.)

Any idea how I can get the system to try to level itself again?

the reason for the lean is because the placement of the gas tank and the placement of the battery... on the driver side. as far as i know they all do that along with my own.

The rear left leaf spring sags over time from the weight of the driver and fuel tank. To fix it, you can swap springs and wait for them to equalize, or buy a junkyard right side spring and install it on the left. Second option worked well for me.

Just FYI you posted in the 1991-1994 section - we don't have nifty things like air shocks here :)

Just FYI you posted in the 1991-1994 section - we don't have nifty things like air shocks here :)

Oops! Is it possible for a mod to move this post?

Back