replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question

Don,

I have driven probably 150 different Explorers, at least, and I can tell you a couple more things.

The second generation Explorer has a short and long arm suspension, and a live rear axel, it is a good ride for being a leaf spring set up in the rear.

The air shocks from the factory are able to be set into a firm, or medium, or soft mode, depending on what message the computer sends, thus giving you a range of ride types.

It is a much better ride, most of these trucks have 100,000+ miles with the original shocks, and the actuators are frozen.

Morgan

Morgan, thanks for the reply. I have run accross an old thread, and evidently more of those people suggested that the Edelbrocks are softer riding than the Bilsteins.

I have owned four Mark VII's, so I am comfortable with the air suspension functioning. A friend of mine has owned several Turbo Coupes, which was probably a similar shock design. They handled very well, so I wonder how the 95-98 air shocks would compare to the handling of my Edelbrocks.

My original thought was to get the rear leveling sytem for my mail vehicle 93 Limited. Now it looks like I need to consider the four shock system for my 98 Mountaineer.

Does anyone else have an opinion about the factory Explorer air shocks, ride and handling?
Regards,
Don

Where are the located, and can they be free'd up? (the actuators)

One option you can go with is to get a kit from http://www.strutmasters.com/ These guys sell kits to convert air suspension systems to non-air, and included info on how to disable the old system to take care of the problem you've had. They don't have the Explorer listed on the site, but I know they offer it because its in the catalog from them we just got at work. Check it out, might be worth a try.

Back