replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

replaced stock air ride shocks with monroes...question

-=c=-

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Eddie Bauer V8 AWD
I replaced the stock (after 84k miles...just bought this explorer) air ride shocks on a 98 eddie bauer with Monroe sensatracks. Huge difference, especially since the front stockers were leaking bad.

I had a "check air ride system" light come on in the center "control panel". I turned off the air ride system using the on/off switch and haven't seen the error come on again.

My question is: what's the real point of the air ride system/control? Would it have been more worth it to take the explorer to a dealership and have them replace the stockers with OEM air ride shocks? The stock ones definitely were beefy compared to the monroes, but that may just be added weight.

Thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont' have an airRide but from my understanding, there is no such thing as an OEM 'air ride shock' on the explorer. The airRide is a system of air-filled bladders- has nothing connected to and therefore has nothing to do with the shocks. But if i am wrong, please enlighten me. :)

Well, not to correct you in public, but you are wrong.

The stock shocks were still on my 98, and when disconnecting them I had to disconnect a sensor/controller and a air tube from each of them.

I'm not sure exactly how it operates, I just know that I had to disconnect them. And replacing shocks on this thing was a PITA.

AH then I stand corrected. My apologies.

-=c=- , have you thrown the original parts away? Do they look like they could be added to a different vehicle? I haven't seen one either, but I'd like to consider adding them to my 99 chassis. I didn't know that they were also in the front. My concern is reaolly just the back.
Was the check suspension message in the message center? It's all interesting,
DonW

You could ad this to your vehicle but you would need all his air ride parts from the rear and you would also have to have hime remove the pump which is located above the spare tire rack on the rear.

Ah, is that where they hide it? I have a 91 Mark VII LSC SE, my fourth Mark VII. There would have to be lines, sensors, wiring, a control module, and the shock units themselves. A friend and I test drove a 95 Limited several years ago. It sat about two inches lower than a normal Explorer, and was very smooth. I wonder if they are all that way.
DW

I do believe that on the '98 and above it was only on the rear acting as a load leveling system. On the earlier ones, it was an actual lift system.

So replacing the front shocks should not affect the system. There were no lines connected to those correct?

No, '99 and newer are the ones who have the optional rear load-leveling systems. '95-'98 systems are 4-corner.

Yeah, all 4 shocks had sensors and air "tubes:"...3 of which I had to break off of the shock since they wouldn't come out gracefully.

I don't know how much it would cost to put OEM shocks with the air ride back on, but I'm happy with the monroe sensatracks and I'll wait at least 2-3 years before caring again about it.

CDW,

Yes, I threw them away, you wouldn't have wanted them even with everything included, both fronts were leaking bad (I could easily compress them with my hands and they had no rebound left)...and they had 84k miles on them.

Thanks, it is a future project, no hurry. I have a 99 chassis that I am installing in my 93 Limited mail vehicle. I'd like the rear leveling for the few times a year when I have a lot of weight to carry. Specifically, I always work the food drive day in the Spring. With the entire rear half to two thirds full of food, the truck handles poorly then.

Billy, thanks. I shall be hunting the 99-01 system then.
DonW

[QUOTE='96explorereddiebauer]No, '99 and newer are the ones who have the optional rear load-leveling systems. '95-'98 systems are 4-corner.[/QUOTE]

I stand corrected, Learn something new everyday :p

Well crap...after turning off the air ride switch everything is fine except the center "command console" says "air ride system off" everytime I start the truck. Then I have to hit reset.

I'm wondering if pulling the fuse for the air ride system relay and/or the fuse for the air ride on/off switch will take care of the problem? Guess I'll just have to try it.

I'd say the answer will be simple. I didn't know that the alert would come through the message center. Night,
DonW

Well, I didn't pull the fuse...my wife's car anyway and she said she doesn't care about having to hit the reset button on the center console. Guess I need to call the Ford dealership in about 2 years and see about getting the replacement OEM air shocks.

ok you guys...your air ride systeme is suppose to lift your EX at least 2 inches when you engage 4wd and even a bit higher when in 4x4 low range. so if you disconnect or remove your shocks you wont have this feature anymore wich is very useful when off roading.

understood daniel, but my wife's idea of off-roading is cutting across a parking lot.

I have a 96 Explorer with the Automatic Ride Control.

It is a very slow system, but it is also very useful, it not only reacts to loads, but to handling, braking, and steering as well, when the shocks are in good condition, the ride is way better than a regular explorer, but when the shocks are bad, the ride can be stiff and un-bearable. The truck is lowered on the highway for handling, and fuel economy.

The shocks last about 75k miles before they go out, and they are about $200 a piece, if you replace them you will see a world of difference.

I would spend the money and put them back on.

Morgan

Morgan, have you taken a ride in a different Explorer with good shocks? I wonder if it would be better than the Bilsteins that most others love on their 2nd gen. Explorers.

$200 is a ton, I'll check on my price, and the possibility to rebuild them.
Don

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

smooth shocks

Thinking about replacing Monroe shocks. What is the best out there for a smooth/car-like ride since I hardly do any off-roading?

Back