Just replaced the upper/lower intake gaskets and running rough | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just replaced the upper/lower intake gaskets and running rough

Dinosaur

Reaction score
City, State
Sac, Cali
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer sport
Hey guys, i just replaced the manifold gaskets using this guide :http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1555157

And on the first start up my car is running really rough, it seems as though it is miss firing.

I scanned it to see what was up and i came up with this code : p0352 and p0353 ( IGNITION SIGNAL COIL A FAULT and IGNITION SIGNAL COIL C FAULT )

I check my wires and everything (i will check again and again). My plug wire #4 is a little loose going into the distributor but i am not sure if that would really cause this running rough/miss fire. I can't imagine that simply replacing the gaskets would cause it to run this rough. I also read that it might be my injectors that are clogged/contaminated, but i doubt that it is that as well (not to mention a pain in the ass to check again).

So can you guys offer any advice on what i should do? Anyone ever run into a problem like this after replacing your upper/lower gaskets?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check all the wires running to your coils.

and make sure you have the plug wires in the correct cylinder

Hey guys, i just replaced the manifold gaskets using this guide :http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1555157

And on the first start up my car is running really rough, it seems as though it is miss firing.

I scanned it to see what was up and i came up with this code : p0352 and p0353 ( IGNITION SIGNAL COIL A FAULT and IGNITION SIGNAL COIL C FAULT )

I check my wires and everything (i will check again and again). My plug wire #4 is a little loose going into the distributor but i am not sure if that would really cause this running rough/miss fire. I can't imagine that simply replacing the gaskets would cause it to run this rough. I also read that it might be my injectors that are clogged/contaminated, but i doubt that it is that as well (not to mention a pain in the ass to check again).

So can you guys offer any advice on what i should do? Anyone ever run into a problem like this after replacing your upper/lower gaskets?

Check the low voltage connector/harness to the coil pack.

i check everything once again today, and i have eliminated the code p0352 but p0353 still persists. I took it for a short test drive, and it is definitely down on power (perhaps miss firing) and there was a strange smell coming from the engine bay, almost smelling like sulfur.

Should I buy some spark plug wires and see what that does?

edit: if it make a difference, i bought this gasket kit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C2CIPG

the one i got from amazon was apparently a "newer" model of the fel pro kit, and is actually Grey without the beading like in the original. I am just wondering if that would make a difference at all? I would like to think not, after all they do sell the gasket for a given job/use, and that's to seal ****.

bump for help :(

The code is an issue with the coil pack and you have to resolve it before you can continue. It has nothing to do with gaskets.

The code is coil driver 3, Cyl 2 or 6 (1 wire controls both cyls), Pin 78 on the PCM.

Here is what the service manual says for that code:

JE1 DETERMINE WHICH COIL IS NOT FIRING
Note: Electronic ignition engine timing is entirely controlled by the PCM. Electronic ignition timing is NOT adjustable. Do not attempt to check base timing. You will receive false readings.

Determine which coil is not firing using information from Pinpoint Test JB or DTC and the table at the beginning of this pinpoint test.
Record cylinder, coil and PCM pin number from the table. (yours is cyl 2 and 6 CD-3)
Have the cylinder number, coil driver and PCM pin number been recorded.
Yes No
GO to JE2 . To obtain required information, REPEAT GO to JE1 .

JE2 DTC P0351, P0352, P0353, P0354: CHECK IGN START/RUN VOLTAGE TO COIL PACK
Disconnect suspect coil (determined from the table).
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between IGN START/RUN circuit at coil pack harness connector and ground.
Is voltage greater than 10.0 volts?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to JE5 . IGN START/RUN circuit fault. KEY OFF. CHECK condition of related fuses/fuse links. If OK, REPAIR open circuit. If fuse/fuse link is damaged CHECK IGN START/RUN circuit for short to ground. REPAIR as necessary. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

JE5 CHECK FUNCTIONALITY OF SUSPECT COIL DRIVER (CD) CIRCUIT
Connect incandescent test lamp between IGN START/RUN and suspect CD circuit (determined from the table) at the coil pack harness connector.
Disable fuel pump by disconnecting inertia fuel shutoff switch.
Observe incandescent test lamp while cranking engine.
Did test lamp blink consistently?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to JE11 . KEY OFF. GO to JE6 .

JE6 CHECK SUSPECT CD CIRCUIT FOR OPEN IN HARNESS
Disconnect PCM.
Measure resistance of suspect CD circuit between PCM harness connector pin (determined from the table) and coil pack harness connector.
Is resistance less than 5 ohms?
Yes No
GO to JE7 . REPAIR open circuit. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

JE7 CHECK SUSPECT CD CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO VPWR IN HARNESS
Key on, engine off.
Measure voltage between suspect CD circuit at the PCM harness connector (determined from the table) and ground.
Is voltage less than 1.0 volt?
Yes No
KEY OFF. GO to JE8 . KEY OFF. REPAIR short circuit. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

JE8 CHECK SUSPECT CD CIRCUIT FOR SHORT TO GROUND IN HARNESS
Disconnect the scan tool.
Measure resistance between suspect CD circuit at the PCM harness connector (determined from the table) and ground.
Is resistance greater than 10,000 ohms?
Yes No
GO to JE9 . REPAIR short circuit. After repair, GO to JE10 to check for damaged coil.

JE9 PERFORM INTERMITTENT TEST ON SUSPECT CD CIRCUIT HARNESS
Connect digital multimeter between suspect CD circuit at the PCM harness connector (determined from the table) and CD circuit at coil pack harness connector.
Wiggle and bend CD harness from PCM harness connector to coil pack harness connector.
Did resistance fluctuate during wiggle test?
Yes No
REPAIR intermittent fault in harness. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ). REPLACE PCM. (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles .) After repair,GO to JE10 to check for damaged coil.

JE10 CHECK SUSPECT PRIMARY COIL FOR OPEN
Measure resistance of suspect coil between CD and IGN START/RUN circuits at coil pack connector.
Yes No
COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ). REPLACE coil pack. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

JE11 CHECK SUSPECT PRIMARY COIL FOR OPEN
Measure resistance of suspect coil between CD and IGN START/RUN circuits at coil pack connector.
Yes No
GO to JE12 . REPLACE coil pack. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

JE12 CHECK SUSPECT SECONDARY COIL FOR OPEN
Remove both plug wires from secondary of suspect coil.
Measure resistance of suspected coil secondary between coil pack towers.
Is resistance between 10K and 14.5K ohms?
Yes No
If DTC P0350 is present:

GO to JB1 .

If no additional ignition DTCs are present:

GO to Z1 . REPLACE coil pack. COMPLETE Misfire Monitor Repair Verification Drive Cycle (REFER to Section 2, Drive Cycles ).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachments

• coil.gif
    coil.gif
    8 KB · Views: 557

Just an update for everyone, i fixed it! Apparently it was the coil pack harness connector that was dirty so i go some compressed air in there and everything is happy again. I really appreciate all the help everyone gave. Thanks for your time! Everything helped!

Back