Just took the Sport plunge | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just took the Sport plunge

All of my waiting may have been for nothing. After telling me for 3 months that they would sell me the car on X-Plan the sales manager at my dealership today told me that they are going to sell the first few that come in for a premium over sticker.

I'm very frustrated, and very irritated. I am going to do what I can to make them hold their original deal, but I may be out of luck, and I'm not paying a premium for a vehicle just because it has a new engine option.

How did you order process take place? Did you register for the Xpaln and bring the number in with you to order and get an vehicle order confirmation with the Xplan price on it? I ordered Xplan to and was just saying today I am worried about them selling the Sport out from under me. Hope they can't do that since I put down a big deposit but still worried. Still waiting on vin.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

How did you order process take place? Did you register for the Xpaln and bring the number in with you to order and get an vehicle order confirmation with the Xplan price on it? I ordered Xplan to and was just saying today I am worried about them selling the Sport out from under me. Hope they can't do that since I put down a big deposit but still worried. Still waiting on vin.....

No, our original order was not on XPlan.. I didn't have a pin at the time, and didn't really know about it... about a month after making the original order I went in and discussed the XPlan. The floor manager assured me that it would be fine (as the dealers still make a commission and get an extra allocation when they do an XPlan deal). Numerous times since then I've discussed the XPlan situation on the phone w/ the floor manager and he's had no issue until today.

I've called two other dealerships today, and they both said they had no problem selling one of their sports on XPlan when they come in, they also said that they didn't understand a dealer trying to get a premium on them, as it's just another trim level for an existing model. There's no limited stock, or delay on orders, so there's no justification for a premium.

I called back the floor manager of my dealer. i explained what the other dealers told me, and said they had till Friday to agree to the XPlan deal in writing, or I go across the street to another Brand and purchase a car. I'd probably sue them for breach of contract (knowing I won't get anywhere with it, but to cause them more pain than if they had just sold me the car).

I'm so salty about this. This would be the second vehicle in 18 mos I have purchased from this dealer, and me and my wife have purchased 12 cars in the last 10 years, so there's room for much more repeated business if they just wanted to keep me happy. I am tempted to walk outside and take a picture of the 12 Ford's sitting on my block, all of which are good neighbors who would take their business elsewhere if I get screwed over by them. I can't understand how a couple grand extra on a deal is worth losing so much business and potential for bad publicity.

If your dealer put the order in on XPlan I would pretty much consider that a contract to sell the car to you at the XPlan price. I don't think you have any worries.

No, our original order was not on XPlan.. I didn't have a pin at the time, and didn't really know about it... about a month after making the original order I went in and discussed the XPlan. The floor manager assured me that it would be fine (as the dealers still make a commission and get an extra allocation when they do an XPlan deal). Numerous times since then I've discussed the XPlan situation on the phone w/ the floor manager and he's had no issue until today.

I've called two other dealerships today, and they both said they had no problem selling one of their sports on XPlan when they come in, they also said that they didn't understand a dealer trying to get a premium on them, as it's just another trim level for an existing model. There's no limited stock, or delay on orders, so there's no justification for a premium.

I called back the floor manager of my dealer. i explained what the other dealers told me, and said they had till Friday to agree to the XPlan deal in writing, or I go across the street to another Brand and purchase a car. I'd probably sue them for breach of contract (knowing I won't get anywhere with it, but to cause them more pain than if they had just sold me the car).

I'm so salty about this. This would be the second vehicle in 18 mos I have purchased from this dealer, and me and my wife have purchased 12 cars in the last 10 years, so there's room for much more repeated business if they just wanted to keep me happy. I am tempted to walk outside and take a picture of the 12 Ford's sitting on my block, all of which are good neighbors who would take their business elsewhere if I get screwed over by them. I can't understand how a couple grand extra on a deal is worth losing so much business and potential for bad publicity.

Hope they agree to the terms by Friday. Can't imagine waiting as long as you did and then finding that out. Keep us posted!!!!!!

Can another dealer that will honor the xplan price do a dealer transfer for the one that you actually ordered?

My sticker showed up yesterday with a build date of the 19th!!!

Of course, haven't heard a peep from my dealer.

Interesting 13sport, how can the dealer do that, did you put down a deposit? When I ordered, through Costco Auto, the dealer could not give us a price, since they hadn't been invoiced yet, but based on the savings on the limited, we expect a certain amount over invoice. I plan on calling the dealer on Monday AM and let them know that I have my sticker and confirm the pricing this week, so we do not have to wait until the car is on the lot. By the way, I am not the least bit thrilled with this dealer, but it is where Costco directed us.....

Ugh, I have long suspected that this could be an issue.

Having grown up in the auto industry, and given my loyalty to Ford (against those in my family), my husband and I have owned several Ford trucks, I may consider abandoning the manufacturer just based on principle if they do not honor the pricing.

I'll post my adventure this week!!

Can another dealer that will honor the xplan price do a dealer transfer for the one that you actually ordered?

That would be at the dealer's discretion, and they aren't going to transfer a car they think they can sell at a premium.

Sorry to hear about this mess 13Sport. Any update? I would throw a huge fit in at the dealership, which I am sure you have done.

Window sticker popped up this AM!!! Looks like my build date is the 19th. I wonder where that puts me in terms of delivery?? The dealer had given me an estimated date of Oct 29th. Cory, does that sound about right?
HailRG3,

Congrats on being one step closer. :) My tracker confirms the build timeframe, but the ETA won’t update until it’s in transit.

If your dealer put the order in on XPlan I would pretty much consider that a contract to sell the car to you at the XPlan price. I don't think you have any worries.
I shot you a quick PM, 13Sport; please see your inbox.

...I made my deal when I ordered...
...I ordered Xplan to and was just saying today I am worried about them selling the Sport out from under me...
My sticker showed up yesterday with a build date of the 19th!!!...When I ordered, through Costco Auto, the dealer could not give us a price, since they hadn't been invoiced yet, but based on the savings on the limited, we expect a certain amount over invoice...
I’m very confident your dealers will take care of you, guys.

Cory

Sorry to hear about this mess 13Sport. Any update? I would throw a huge fit in at the dealership, which I am sure you have done.

I let him know the business he will be losing if they decide to not follow through (I took a picture of the 10 Fords in an 8 house radius of mine, and let them know that they are all very close friends). I have not resorted to throwing a fit yet, but if they do come back by Friday and tell me they won't deal, then I might do some creative annoyances outside their dealership w/ signs and such ;)

Fact of the matter is, if they don't deal, I'll either jump brands, or drive to the neighboring town and buy a loaded limited instead. After having to have sued ford for service on my last explorer, and this fiasco, I'd be a bit shy about reinvesting in them (even if it is the dealer's fault and not Ford directly). I'd probably return to my roots and look at a Silverado, or Tahoe.

So a bit of a turn-around in my situation. I checked various dealer inventories online, and Galpin (largest California dealer) happen to have an ingot/charcoal w/ tow package + 402a just as I ordered ... it's sticker says it was built on the 9th, and is due to arrive between the 21 and 28th.

I called, they said though they have a waiting list for people wanting Sport's, nobody has claimed this particular one. I just drove over there (about 10 mins from my office) and dropped a deposit, and got in writing they would honor my original XPlan deal I had w/ the other dealership.

Looks like I'm due to receive my car earlier than I had expected, and I get to stick it to the other dealer that pissed me off. My week just got infinitely better.

Now I just need the San Francisco Giants to win the NLCS and I'll be an overly happy boy!

So a bit of a turn-around in my situation. I checked various dealer inventories online, and Galpin (largest California dealer) happen to have an ingot/charcoal w/ tow package + 402a just as I ordered ... it's sticker says it was built on the 9th, and is due to arrive between the 21 and 28th.

I called, they said though they have a waiting list for people wanting Sport's, nobody has claimed this particular one. I just drove over there (about 10 mins from my office) and dropped a deposit, and got in writing they would honor my original XPlan deal I had w/ the other dealership.

Looks like I'm due to receive my car earlier than I had expected, and I get to stick it to the other dealer that pissed me off. My week just got infinitely better.

Now I just need the San Francisco Giants to win the NLCS and I'll be an overly happy boy!

Good for you man!

Awesome job 13Sport...I didn't know that we were so close in Southern Cal.
I spoke with my dealer today and received the pricing...Within the range that I expected so I'm ok.

The dealer was so surprised that I had the information... A big THANKS to Cory..You have been fantastic. Appreciate the awesome service.

My dealer had no idea when the car would be in, then after about 30 minutes, they called back, with their ducks in a row. Delivery ETA 10/29. I know that Cory will keep me in the loop!

Awesome job 13Sport...I didn't know that we were so close in Southern Cal.

Yeah man.. Maybe after the holidays we should have a SoCal meetup. I know of a few of us down here.

And I had so much respect for you. :) I guess my Reds deserved it after failing to show up at home. That was brutal.
Glad to hear the sport worked out for you. And you get it Sooner!

And I had so much respect for you. :) I guess my Reds deserved it after failing to show up at home. That was brutal.

Bittersweet... Dusty Baker is always a Giant in our heart. Was great to win, and to have such an awesome comeback, but it hurt to see him lose another playoff run.

I think you're going to be really amazed at the ingot silver - looks amazing (and it'll be easier to keep looking clean to boot). Enjoy! Hopefully, I'll post more pics tomorrow...

Great news happy to hear it. You will have to post pics as soon as you pick her up!

That's awesome!!

After you get the new ride, put a big sign on your windows about how they screwed you or something, or "bought at Galpin, they honored their word", then drive it over to them, sit in their parking lot and smile :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

After you get the new ride, put a big sign on your windows about how they screwed you or something, or "bought at Galpin, they honored their word", then drive it over to them, sit in their parking lot and smile :)

lol.. tempted to do something similar ;)

Back