Just wanted to take a survey of who has Street Trucks? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just wanted to take a survey of who has Street Trucks?

Jornum1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Clifton, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Sport 4x4 SOHC
Hey guys, just wanted to know who on this board has trucks built for street use? You guys dont know how happy I am, that Rick made a new forum just for us. If you have a truck with street modfications in mind, post a reply with what you have, and any mods you have. That way we can keep in touch for questions and know who to go to for advice Thanks everyone.
Jason
'99 sport SOHC Auto
K&N filter, airbox mod
Bosch platinum 4+'s
Eldebrock shocks, lowered 1 3/4

Borla Exhaust and K&N Concical filter Kit Hopefully it should come today :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

98 Sport Black/Grey
4.0L SOHC Auto
Front and rear AVS blackouts
Rear Sway bar from Explorer Express
Borla cat-back exhaust
K&N air filter
Soon to be Edelbrock Performer IAS shocks

I am also very happy about the forum. My Explorer is slowly becoming more of a street truck than an off-road machine. I'm glad to see others intersted in this area.

Does a Sport-Truck mean a street car? I have a Sport explorer, but by no means I consider it a street car, just because it is a Sport. As a matter of fact, Ford is taking the Sport model and making it more off-roadable than the 4 door.

So is that what you mean or is there some lingo here I'm not familiar with?

Thanks!

------------------
Juan Felsmann
'97 Sport 4WD
Warrior Twist

I have a 91 2dr Eddie Bauer. I have been waiting for someone else who likes their truck to handle decent. I have a K+N filter, modified air box, and BFG Radial TA's. Soon to come is a dual outlet Flowmaster and Helwig anti-sway bars.

No, sport-truck does not necessarily mean "street car". A sport truck is a truck that has been modified to increase street performance. Such as lowering the truck, modifying suspension for better handling, engine modifications to make the truck accelerate faster, etc. If you want to get a good idea of what a sport truck is, check out http://www.sportruck.com/ That's the cool thing about trucks. You buy them from the dealer and you have 2 different ways you can go, you can either modify them for off-road use, or modify them for street use.

96 Sport White
4.0L OHV Auto

HANDLING:
Lowered 2"
Bilstein Shocks
Explorer Express X-spec Sway Bars
18x8.5 Chrome Gara wheels
255/45VR18 Yokohama AVS S/T tires

ENGINE:
KKM intake
Borla Cat-Back

OTHER:
Clear Taillights
Grant Carbon fiber Steering wheel cover
Stereo(Denon head unit, factory 6 disc changer, 4-10" Crunch subs, Crystal Seperates, Kicker Coax, Power Acoustic 2APC-2200, Crunch 50x4

Hi Guys,

I'm new around here and have been looking for a place about racing Explorers for a long time. I accidentally posted a link for my truck under modified explorations, but It's really a street truck. Here's a url:

Photopoint Album for Troll

Btw, I have a '96 v8 Ford Explorer with a custom built 347 ci, a Vortech S-Trim, a 75mm throttlebody, a 77mm Pro M, and MSD Ignition. I've been building it since the summer of 1997, but the built motor was just put in a few months ago. It's also got Cobra R rims and true dual exhaust out the passenger side.

Let me know what you think.

i was looking into making mine into a sport truck but then decided to lift it. For any of you guys interested i know of a place that has lowered i beams for 91-94 explorers.
Brian

Troll,
Damn, I bet your truck moves. Do you ever race it at the strip? I'd like to see that.

------------------
'91 2 dr Eddie Bauer
modified air box
K&N filter
MUCH MORE TO COME

Hey troll,
I wanted to say, I love the cobra R's. I have been saving my pennies for them too :) Hopefully I will have enough by summer. I wanted to ask, where did you get them from? what did you pay. Are they actual ford Motorsports, or are the look alikes. I cant tell from your pics. But I just wanted to ask you that, and say it looks great.
Thanks,
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

i found cobra r's at www.geracing.com There the third largest Ford Motorsport distributer. They have good prices for the rim. Think it was 699 for all 4 and 60 to ship. Best for REAL cobra R's. I found out the difference between the fake the real ford motorsport are where the valve stem comes out theres an indentation for it. On the ford's theres writing, but on the fakes its completely smooth.
Brian

Hey brian, thanks for the link, but it doesnt work? Are you sure that is the right site? Maybe you spelled it wrong. But anyway if you can post the right one it would be much appreciated. Thanks alot for the info though. Do you have cobra R's on your exp? Do you have pics.
Oh by the way, troll, do you have a better side pic of your truck that shows the rims good? I am trying to show my friend, and he doesnt believe that they look good on a truck. Thanks alot guys.
Jason

------------------
'99 Sport SOHC Auto
K&N FIPK, Borla Exhaust
Bosch 4+'s, Lowered 2 inches, Eldebrock shocks

Sorry about that. I missed typed it. www.gefracing.com I dont have the R's on my truck but was going to. Instead i lifted mine. I've see the Chrome R's on a 96 white explorer that was lowered 1.75. It looked good. Personally i really like them and they will give your truck that sporty, but still a truck look. I have some numbers for the fake R's and they have really good prices too. I was looking for them last night but cant find em' i'll look again and send the numbers to you. The place i'm talking about (fakes) they have a 17/10 that you can put on the rear. hehe..Just need to get some ponies to light em up.
Brian

Great to hear all the responses to my truck. I have not yet run my truck at the track because of a tranny problem (no gears above 2nd), but I have 400 horse with only 5 lbs of boost (should run 12's). The tranny will be fixed in a few weeks and I'm putting on a smaller blower pulley to up the boost to 12 lbs. and take her to the track.

As to the rims they are real cobra R's. I got them through a friend at Ford in Michigan so I don't know how much you can get them for but they do look great don't they?

Bill

P.S. I was wondering if there were any other supercharged Explorers out there and what are you running? Btw, on the original motor I was running 14.4 @ 96 mph with a Powerdyne.

All street Explorer here. 91 Sport, 2wd 5 speed, getting it back from the performance shop early next week. Its coming back bored .40 over, ported and polished with a comp cam. I already had on there a K&N FIPK for a 95-97, flowmaster muffler, MSD DIS-4 (which was alot eaiser to hook up that I thought it was) Accel wires, and bosch plat 4's. I CANT wait to get my car back. My baby stays on the road. Just a thought, I know this is a off-road site, but I would like to see it more Explorer oreinted. Could we see a Street truck forum? I dunno. Is anyone else interested in seeing this?

Tony 91 Sport

i've got a 92 sport and was looking to get a good exhaust system for it. so far i put a k&n in it with a drilled airbox and platnum+4 plugs. Is it possible i could go with duels out the back. just wondering. Thanks, Matt

You can run dual off the muffler. I would probably run a 3 chamber flowmaster 2.25 in and 2" dual out and then add some tips. The reason for running 2 inch out so you still have some backpressure. I would just stick to 2.25 in and 2.25 or 2.5 out. Running a single pipe. I have 2.25 single in and out on a 2 chamber 40 series flowmaster. When you run duals your going to run into trouble unless you get rid of your spare.
Brian
94 2wd
4" Fabtech Lift
265/75/16

Troll,
I to have a Street Explorer I have done a few things but the more I do It comes more apparent that I have the exact same power things as the jacked up rides. Except for the trick suspension. I figure that I'll do all of my engine mods now and keep it low. It is lowered 2" now but that only took $50 and two
hours to do so only 2 to fix it back. her is a list of mods:
2" lowering blocks in back and 2" torsion in front.
KYB gas shocks all round
K&N drop in filter

Long list of future modificatoions:
Nopi steel race pedals and dead pedal
Electric fan
70mm Mass air fow sensor
Roll cage
Super Chips customprogram
modified cam
new wheels either for off road or race
4 wd system and custom lift kit (prefer to do stuff like that myself) I like agood challenge that nobody thinks I can do myself

I dont know about anybody else but I have dreams about my Explorer flipping. It's not a nightmare cause after it is all over I'm okay. I just sit down next to the truck and think about why God spared my life. It gets me into another state of mind like I have not fulfilled my reason for being her yet. The person with me is my best friend Jessica, but she is nowhere to be found. I'm not really worried about her for some reason but I know she is okay. It makes me wonder and we thought it would be a good video for our band. Since we are both in it, She wants to sing and I play guitar. The Explorer flipping would signify some sort of trifle among the band that when we all sit down and think about all of the crap that is going on we all decide inside ourselves without even saying a word that we love everybody and that we could be taken away from those that we love at any moment and that we should show that we love them every second that we are oround those people. That is also what I got out of my dream for myself. Show everyone that you love, love whenever you are around them. That is why I am getting a roll cage, for those who love me and those that I love.
kind of got on the sentimental side, sorry.

Clayton Burris

your counselor

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hey, Everyone:

Just found the Street Trucks section; didn't know it had been added.

Question for those who have lowered '95 and newer: After lowering the front via torsion bars and installing Explorer Express camber plates, I had the front end aligned for as close to 0 degrees camber as we could get, which turned out to be 1/2 negative. The most caster we could get at this camber setting was about 3 1/2 positive. While the handling with the mods is superior, it has NO road feel and minimal self-centering. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Pete

------------------
'96 XLT 2wd V8
K&N, drilled airbox
Flowmaster 50 series w/ 3" pipe
Explorer Express 1 1/2" lowering kit
Edelbrock IAS
Michelin 235/70 X-One

Back