Just WOW Ford.... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just WOW Ford....

Despite what Iceracer posted, all cars do have their problems. This includes ones like 'Rolls and Bentley. The only difference is how frequently?
I had 3 Highlanders over a 10 year period and had very few issues with them but then I can say the same for my previous 2011 Explorer and my current MKT. I'm seriously looking at a 2017/18 Platinum when my current lease is up next year. Looking at the Toyota Forum it seems that they are also far from being trouble free.

Peter

No doubt high end cars have problems and generally those who buy them are well equipped from a financial standpoint to deal with the issues and/or those dealers roll out red carpet to stand behind their product.

I think it's also important to point out that you do not drive your vehicles into high mileage if I recall correctly, as matter of fact you put very few miles on your cars, hence the reason you owned a 2011 Explorer and are already driving a MKT. I think the issues with this generation of Explorers will become more interesting as the owners get into higher mileage, especially how the water pumps and turbos perform at over 100k miles. This generation of Explorers is still fairly young.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No doubt high end cars have problems and generally those who buy them are well equipped from a financial standpoint to deal with the issues and/or those dealers roll out red carpet to stand behind their product.

I think it's also important to point out that you do not drive your vehicles into high mileage if I recall correctly, as matter of fact you put very few miles on your cars, hence the reason you owned a 2011 Explorer and are already driving a MKT. I think the issues with this generation of Explorers will become more interesting as the owners get into higher mileage, especially how the water pumps and turbos perform at over 100k miles. This generation of Explorers is still fairly young.

I think the reason he owned a 2011 and now an MKT is because he leases vehicles, not because he puts very few miles on them.

But, I also agree that he typically doesn't put that many miles on his, so he doesn't get into the potential issues when miles start to increase.

Despite what Iceracer posted, all cars do have their problems. This includes ones like 'Rolls and Bentley. The only difference is how frequently?
I had 3 Highlanders over a 10 year period and had very few issues with them but then I can say the same for my previous 2011 Explorer and my current MKT. I'm seriously looking at a 2017/18 Platinum when my current lease is up next year. Looking at the Toyota Forum it seems that they are also far from being trouble free.

Peter

I guess I should have been more precise with my comment. I typically put about 140K on my vehicle before we replace them. I have had numerous cars that didn't require dealer attention before that, mostly Fords. All cars simply do not have issues during that time other than normal maintenance and wear and tear items.

My problems started at less than 4K and were minimal compared to what others have gone through. One of the problems was corrected as a result of help from this this forum and a Ford rep. I am very grateful for that and make sure that I tell others about my experience.

Peter - I began my career on the road in 1977 and for many years my vehicle was replaced every 60,000 miles. For some time that, for me, was 1-1/2 years. With the exception of two cars during all of that time they were all Fords. I suspect that I have gone through a lot more cars than most and feel that I have pretty good knowledge of what should be expected from a quality standpoint in a new vehicle.

My point is that Ford can and does build a quality vehicle but in my view the Explorer isn't one of them. My next car will likely be a Ford but for sure it won't be an Explorer.

I don't understand why some feel a need to defend Ford when a customer is extremely frustrated and has legitimate problems. To respond with something like "every car has problems" is useless feedback.

......I don't understand why some feel a need to defend Ford when a customer is extremely frustrated and has legitimate problems. To respond with something like "every car has problems" is useless feedback.
I was in no way defending Ford. Just posting my experiences with them. The "every car has problems" was just in response to your statement "The people that say that you will have problems with any car you acquire are simply - wrong!!". Just stating the facts. Of course the longer you own a vehicle and the more you drive it the greater the chances of things going wrong but that doesn't mean that things can't also happen in the short term. You are correct that I lease my vehicles, usually for 4 years but the dealer really wanted my 2011 Ltd back after 3 years because they had a buyer for it and gave me a very good deal on the MKT which I took on a 3 year lease. The lease is up next April at which time I'll likely be looking at a 2017 Platinum or MKX.

Peter

From my personal experience I would disagree that Ford quality is just like an other vehicle; it perceive that it has declined a lot. The last 3 Ford's my wife owned (Edge, MKX, Explorer) where substandard to any other car we owned that we compare with. From the day we took delivery we have had issues with build quality, rattles, weak AC, strange sounds (Fan etc), tire vibration, panel alignment issues, black panel near the windshield coming loose, weatherstrip curling up at the corners and randomly not recognizing the key fob. Some of it is not resolved yet after several visits.

I switched earlier from an problematic Expedition. Now I bought a Land Cruiser 3 months ago which is flawless when I picked it up from the dealer, and so far during ownership. And from a build quality point of view / quality perception, it is a world of a difference apart from the explorer. The Land Cruiser I bought is in the same price bracket as my 57k$ Explorer, and in all aspects is a better buy.

I do not want to be perceived as a Ford hater, I am not. I have had 30 years of great times with Ford cars, but as customer I feel my loyalty to Ford has been severely tested and affected by the decline of engineering and quality. I feel that the accountants are in charge at Ford, and their engineers are limited to do product improvement. I made the step to other brands, and can confirm to my self that there are way better products out there for my money.

To clarify on my statement that every car will have problems; it is not directly related to just build quality.
Lool at the takata air bag scandal that affected pretty much every vehicle manufactuer (BMW, Toyata/Lexus, Honda/Acura, FORD, GM etc...).

No vehicle is perfect, is what I'm trying to express and we just have to pick our battles.

The problem I see on this forum is a lot of people are spending $50,000 - $60,000 on a Ford Explorer and are expecting it to be the equivalent of a Lexus. The Explorer was never designed to be a luxury vehicle. It's basically a run of the mill $30,000 SUV, that for that price range is a pretty good vehicle.

My current '16 Base, and my previous '14 XLT (base), bot stickered around $33K, and were/are decent vehicles. However, I don't think the Explorer qualifies as a $50K+ vehicle, and I'd probably be sorely disappointed if I had spent that much on one.

The problem I see on this forum is a lot of people are spending $50,000 - $60,000 on a Ford Explorer and are expecting it to be the equivalent of a Lexus. The Explorer was never designed to be a luxury vehicle. It's basically a run of the mill $30,000 SUV, that for that price range is a pretty good vehicle.

My current '16 Base, and my previous '14 XLT (base), bot stickered around $33K, and were/are decent vehicles. However, I don't think the Explorer qualifies as a $50K+ vehicle, and I'd probably be sorely disappointed if I had spent that much on one.

You're absolutely correct, as every single person I know said the same thing..."you paid $50K for a Ford".

When I show them what I get for $50K (most importantly, 365hp/350tq and can tow 5000lbs); they are lost for words.

The Explorer was never designed to be a luxury vehicle. It's basically a run of the mill $30,000 SUV, that for that price range is a pretty good vehicle.

Agreed, but I don't think it's just a matter of comparing to more expensive models. IMO previous generation Fords at comparatively similar price points had MUCH better fit/finish than the current generation.

My 98 Sport is 18 years old and the factory paint and trim on it is still almost perfect everywhere but where I've dinged it off-roading. Power seats, puddle lamps, exterior trim, etc, are all in great shape. In fact, almost every system on my 98 still works in spite of significant abuse. If it hadn't been for the crap SOHC6 timing chain, it would have been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

I can't imagine many newer Ford model owners will be saying that 20 years down the road.

If it hadn't been for the crap SOHC6 timing chain, it would have been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

I can't imagine many newer Ford model owners will be saying that 20 years down the road.

The same goes for other brands as well. It's not about longevity with the manufactures anymore - it's about how much dollars they can squeeze out of you.

http://www.piloteers.org/forums/70-2009-2011-pilot/32881-2011-lift-gate-rust.html

looks like Honda extended it to 7 years unlimited mileage for their tailgate rust issue, wheres Fords? Do they actually think people don't talk about issues with their vehicles online and offline, they must think its a minor issue and find that there are enough returning customers or new customers so the problem isn't that big a deal, or maybe enough people don't complain and they think it must not be a problem, beats me.

You're absolutely correct, as every single person I know said the same thing..."you paid $50K for a Ford".

When I show them what I get for $50K (most importantly, 365hp/350tq and can tow 5000lbs); they are lost for words.

And don't forget the leather dash and door tops. The extra sound deadening and suspension are all really nice "extras".

Agreed, but I don't think it's just a matter of comparing to more expensive models. IMO previous generation Fords at comparatively similar price points had MUCH better fit/finish than the current generation.

My 98 Sport is 18 years old and the factory paint and trim on it is still almost perfect everywhere but where I've dinged it off-roading. Power seats, puddle lamps, exterior trim, etc, are all in great shape. In fact, almost every system on my 98 still works in spite of significant abuse. If it hadn't been for the crap SOHC6 timing chain, it would have been the most reliable car I've ever owned.

I completely agree with your comment since I have also owned two Explorers from past generations that were much more like trucks than cars and without question had better build quality.

I think what we are seeing on a macro scale due to low interest rates is that almost all auto manufacturers are selling cars like hotcakes and giving 8 year loans out to almost anyone, kind of like how homes sold before the housing crisis. I can't predict whether or not we will have a subprime car loan problem in the U.S., but it is possible.

With all of that said, times are currently very good for the auto industry, and in good times mistakes really don't surface or are hardly noticed, but when things slow down, that is when mistakes or bad build quality will probably get a lot more attention.

My '11 had none of the problems noted by the OP after almost 100k miles.

Was it problem free? Nope. Had its share of issues, but not every one of them is perfect, or a POS.

Back