K & N Air Filter Install Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N Air Filter Install Questions

Exproblems

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Orchard Park, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 Explorer XLT 4.0L
Has anyone installed a K & N Air Filter into their vehicle and had any problems with the oil in the new filter causing any problems with your MAF sensor? Today, I spoke with the mechanic I take my truck to and he recommended I install a K & N air filter to help get better fuel economy and horsepower. I purchased the new K & N air filter today, an OE replacement type, installed it in my 2005 Ford Explorer 4.0L, along with cleaning the MAF sensor while I was at it with CRC MAF sensor cleaner. No problems so far, haven't driven more than a few miles since the install.
But while reading up on some of the posts in here the past few days on people with K & N Air Filters in their vehicles, they mentioned things like not oilling the filter too much because of this MAF sensor. I asked the mechanic who told me to install this type of air filter about the oil issue and MAF sensors and he said not to oil the filter, leave it dry. He said he does this with a HD truck he owns and has used the same filter for 10 years and no problems. The filter I bought today, came pre-oiled and I installed it. Can I expect to have some MAF sensor problems from this filter oil that came with i? Has anyone experienced this problem before with these oiled air filters?
If anyone is interested, I purchased this air filter at the Advance Auto Parts web site and used "promo Code" -ccabin, and received $20 off the price of the filter. The filter was $56.93 before the coupon discount. Thanks for any info I receive.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I used mine pre oiled straight from the bag with no issue's so you should be right.:thumbsup:

I have used them in all of my cars for which they are made, for the last 10+ years.

If you do not follow the directions for cleaning and oiling them, you can put too much oil on the filter, the excess of which will be sucked out of the filter and onto the MAF sensor.

While this is not good, it is an easy problem to solve, and only involves cleaning the MAF sensor (with the proper cleaner) which most peeps should do as a normal maintenance item anyway.

In a word, this over-oiling is overstated as a problem, and most importantly, easy to avoid.

FWIW, most vehciles will not gain much if any power or gas mileage from adding a K&N, as intakes have been improved to minimize any improvement that used to be gained from old highly restrictive systems.

I only use them because I keep my cars a long time and don't like the disposable society. One K&N lasts as long as several paper throwaway filters.

Thanks to Easy Rhino, Lynchy Wa and SwsHawaii for all the info a K & N air filters and the K & N web link.

Back