• Register Today It's free!

K + N Airfilter

Peter

Reaction score
City, State
Virginia
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
I was wondering what kind of benefits one of these enormously popular air filters could do for my horsepower. But apparently if the exhaust system isnt changed in some way opening up the engine wont do anything, and horsepower wont increase, because of the conpression relationship between the exhaust system and the engine and fuel injectors, which electronically will control fuel intake to suit what the exhaust is allowing...blah, blah, blah...so any ideas?, im fairly curious

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Peter,

The very first mod i made on my '96 was a K&N filter. I saw a discernable change in HP (pulled a hill without downshifting that it had *always downshifted on before) and throttle response.

Later I cut out the air box and added a Flowmaster Catback, and no doubt that all helped too. But the K&N is for real even if you don't do anything else.

Be warned tho that one mod leads to another.

Does using the K&N filter require MAF sensor and the Throttle Body cleaning more freqently? I have heard that the oiling on the filter, even new one out of the box, can ruin the MAF sensor if not cleaned regularly.

How about the seal around the edges? I have seen one of the K&N's and its seals are stiffer than the paper filters.

Thanks,
Shane

Shane, I'm just 15K into my K&N, and so far I haven't noticed any problems. I will say that if the K&N is over-oiled after a cleaning, apparently oil can blow off it and accumulate on the MAS and cause problems. The cleaning instructions warn against over-oiling.

As far as the seal, I have removed the filter a couple of times to show someone how it works, and ihave not noticed any blow-by tracks.

What is the gain in hp(5-10..?), fuel mileage and what is a good price to pay for one? A good place to get one?

Goober, the gain in horsepower is not known until you actually dyno your car. And it also depends on the modifications you have done to your car.

As for the price of it, it ranges from $30 - $45 depending on the type of the filter (round,flat). You can buy one at ExplorerExpress.com, Carparts.com, or you can search at any search engine on the internet. You may also want to try your local auto shop.

I haven't done any engine mods YET! I was looking to gain a little power back from the lift/larger tires. It sounds like, from other threads, like its worth it.

Yep...other than cutting out the airbox, the K&N filter has gotta be the easiest and most cost effective mod you can make.

Goober- they sell them at AUTOZONE or PEPBOYS if you have those stores in your area.

Performance Products Customers

I just ordered my K&N filter the other day from Performance Products. They are having a summer sale from June 6th-20th which gives 15% off....Saving some money here! I don't know if that applies to non-customers, but its worth I try if you want to purchase something. I went to a few local auto parts stores and most likely they have to special order them and pay around retail price...and plus shipping!..YIKES! Either way, Go with K&N filters, they work a little better and the last filter you'll buy

K & N

Been running a K & N for about 5 years now, and haven't had the MAF or Throttly body give me trouble yet. I have lightly cleaned both though, and I also am real stingy with the oil when I re -treat the filter. I use it veeery sparingly and stand the filter on edge and rotate it periodically to evenly distribute the oil. It usually takes me a couple of hours to complete the re-oil, so I don't do it when I'm in a hurry, :) No problems so far.

I just put a K&N drop in filter in my 94. Now I am getting a Check Engine light. I made sure the box was sealed. I unhooked the battery twice for 10-15 minutes and I drove for about 13 miles. The light will come on after about 2 minutes of driving. When I turn the truck off and then back on, the light will stay off for a minute or two then come back on. Any suggestions. I read the threads about the o2 sensor, but this problem started when I put the K&N filter in. Like I said I have only driven the truck about 13 miles since the new filter was put in.

I also installed a borla cat-back about 2 weeks ago. No problems with that.

K&N Filter Price?

Has anyone every dealt with the following company and is this price too good to be true?

http://www.off-roadstore.com/kn_Ford.htm

I am looking at the 33-2106 for $41.95.

Here's another one

Performance International

33-2106 for $41.24

[Edited by Jim F on 06-14-2000 at 11:57 AM]

Back