K&N FIPK Caused a Blower Motor Short Circuit | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K&N FIPK Caused a Blower Motor Short Circuit

J$hort

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Sport, 2008 XLT V8
Here is a good one for all who enjoy a good mystery. My wife's 08 Explorer blower motor just stopped working. One minute on, the next off. From there it was not working. Not a good thing as we approach winter. So naturally I took a look at the relay and fuses. Turns out I missed it initially, but a fuse was blown. I realized this after testing blower by running a 12v power source to it. I also tested blower resistor and blower switch. All checked out fine and the fuse was replaced and blower was now functioning. This would be a great end of story, but after a day the blower fuse popped again.

So, all components checking out and a fully tested blower motor means this must be a wiring issue. After searching high and low for any sign of a frayed wire, the culprit was finally found. A bit randomly and by accident as the K&N FIPK was removed to be cleaned. Turns out there were a few wires routed on the air box tray that were under the K&N filter bracket. Over time, the bracket wore thru the wires to expose the copper that was causing a short, which blew the fuse to the blower circuit. So, mystery solved...just in time for a New England winter.

Back