K & N & Kool Blue air filter comparison | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

K & N & Kool Blue air filter comparison

tbirdman

Reaction score
City, State
Sask- Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC
I am wondering if any one has used the Kool Blue air filter as a stock replacement for a 1995-2001 Ford Explorer. Dimensionally , it is virtually identical to stock and is advertised as having very good filtering characteristics ( down to 2.8 microns according to website info at mrgasket.com). I had purchased a k & n stock replacement filter but when it came time to install, I was disappointed with the smaller depth( i.e. filtered area) then stock and also the flimsy gasket included to be added to the stock air box for "proper sealing of filter to air box lid".( taken from installation instruction sheet ).
I have used K & N stock replacements on other vehicles , and have always been satisfied with the fit & performance- and with out having to add a "gasket " or perform any airbox mods. I am under the impression that the Kool Blue is a "drop in and go" replacement for the stock air filter- with no mods or gaskets. Has anyone tried the Kool Blue filter -and if so - is it truly a drop in & go replacement for stock ? Also- if you are using the Kool Blue- how would you rate performance gains with this filter ( i.e- subjectively - does it "feel" more responsive ; more "seat of the pants get up & go" ? )
The Kool Blue is a special order in my area - so I want to make sure its worth while trying out . Thanks for any info you can offer.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I ordered a Kool Blue filter from Jegs on Wednesday. It should be here today or Monday. I will let you know how it works. I am wondering how the K&N oil will work with the Kool Blue. I think it should be fine.

Here is the Kool Blue next to the stock filter. It is a lot smaller. After installing it I am pretty sure there is more power in the higher RPM’s. It dropped right in place of the stock filter.
KB.jpg

with a drop in filter, you'll only feel power gains in higher rpms. So i would think the K&N and Kool Blue filters are going to yield the same results. I really don't think filter technology is all that they try to say it is. its just cotton. Why not just get a KKM and never have to replace your filter again, and have the obvious benefits of no more restrictive stock air box. But thats just my 0.02.

*steps off of soap box*

I have a KKM, but I'll say one thing, I think the blue color looks VERY COOL. I wish my KKM was that blue color instead of the pink. I don't like having pink parts on my truck!!!

Back