Key wont turn to off position

Preacher_boy

Reaction score
City, State
Billings, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLT
Hi Friends,

So here is what happened... My 2000 Ford Explorer XLT (V6 SVOHC) Shifter snapped in two. Not a big deal. Ordered a replacement. Dropped the steering column pulled the old one out put the new one in... Noticed that the transhift cable housing was cracked so seeing as I was already there I replaced the transshift cable as well. Put it all back together. Car Starts and shifts into all gears just fine. However; when I went to turn it off the key will not turn all the way back to the off position. I don't know if it still thinks it is in gear? Not sure where the sensor is for that. But I cannot turn the key back to the off position.

Any thoughts or help would be great..!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happens when you jiggle the shifter?

Pull the shifter upward towards the park position while trying to put the key into the off position and see if it does.

Sorry guys no such luck... Any other thoughts. Or ideas on how the key senses when the car is in park? As I said it starts, runs, shifts, and drives just fine. the key just wont turn all the way to the off position. I figured I bumped a sensor when I dropped the steering column down to replace the broken shifter.

Any other ideas are welcome.

The lever has to be all the way into park for the key to go into the shut off position. Is there any chance something got bent when you dropped it which is preventing the lever to go up far enough to release the mechanism?

Back