Keyfob not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyfob not working

khutch2212

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Explorer Sport Trac
I own a 2005 Ford Explorer Sport Trac and my keyfob has not been working for approximately 3 years, but just now deciding to figure out what the issue is. The dealership told me it was not the fob, but instead an electrical component within the door. I did not receive an estimate and I don't remember what "term" they used for the issue. I did try replacing the battery in the fob and that did no good. Just checking to see if anyone else had an issue like this or if someone knows what the problem is. If more information is needed I will try my best to answer.

Thanks!

Dealership description sounds like a commonly failed door lock actuator. Do the door lock rocker switches lock and unlock the doors? Hear a whirring or buzzing sound from any of the doors when locking or unlocking? Is the black lock button stuck?

Answers for the questions; 1) Yes all interior switches work, 2) Have never heard any noise, 3) No. The fob works very rarely and when it does it is only during the fall/winter seasons (basically when its cooler) and never during the warmer seasons.

Thanks for clarifying, the key fob symptoms in your OP were somewhat vague. Not aware of any electrical component in the DOOR that controls locks, but I have an XLS that was not factory equipped with keyless entry. There is a Generic Electronics Module (GEM) behind the dash, and to the left of the radio with multiple functions that includes keyless entry and windows. An expensive and usually non-returnable electronic part that could be a big mistake if replaced without a fix. Hoping someone with a similar intermittent keyless entry issue will be chiming in. Good luck.

Back