• Register Today It's free!

Keyless Entry combination.

4squared

Reaction score
City, State
hyattsville MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
Hey, i have a 98 sport that i got about 10 months ago. Anyway when i got it they gave me the Valet Key(works for ignition but doesnt open doors), And the keyless entry remote to open the doors. And it has the combination pad to open the doors too but the dealership didnt know the combination. Anyway how would i figure that out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The easiest way to find the keyless entry code is to look at the sticker on the RAP module. The RAP module is located in the back of the explorer where the jack compartment is, its a square box located toward the front of the compartment. You might need a flashlight to see the sticker, and it is a 5 digit code. Hope this help.

Umm, sorry to disappoint, but they hosed you.... the original key should have opened both the doors and started the ignition. They didn't have a "valet key." Also, there should have been two keys and two remotes. You can't program additional keys or remotes without two working ignition keys.

Sounds to me like someone had ignition or door lock problems and replaced only the one that was bad instead of replacing the set or having the bad part re-keyed to match the existing locks.

As for yout Keypad Code, again, it's on the RAP module. Click the link for my gallery in my signature line and look at the gallery called "RAP Module Location" Make sure you look at the set of pics for the Explorer, not the F-150.

-Joe

When I bought my 01 sport a year ago, same story. I did not know the key code to unlock the door. The Ford Dealer (I am assuming that is where you bought it) plugged the computer to it and read the code, and he gave it to me free of charge. Took less than 5 minutes.

Is the key worn. It is a long shot but if the key is really worn it may have an impact. Good luck.

That was all really helpful, I was able to stick my head in there and check the RAP module and get the combination. It works like magic. And my freind was able to open the door with the key, you have to pull it out and its still pretty difficult but its possible which is tight. And my freind showed me i could lock it by pressing 7890 all at once which is pretty tight too. Little things like this make me happy as hell.

Here's another trick for ya: Enter the code and your driver's door will unlock. Press the 3/4 key again within 5 seconds and all the doors will unlock.

:)

-Joe

gijoecam said:
Here's another trick for ya: Enter the code and your driver's door will unlock. Press the 3/4 key again within 5 seconds and all the doors will unlock.

:)

-Joe

TIGHT

Someone should make a sticky post of all these nifty keypad tricks.

hey i have been wonderin how to find out my keyless entry code for awhile and i just tried your advice about lookin for it in the RAP module but when i looked it was so far back there that there was now way i could tell what it says, i have a 4 door if that has anything to do with it, can u help me out?

SteveO2569 said:
hey i have been wonderin how to find out my keyless entry code for awhile and i just tried your advice about lookin for it in the RAP module but when i looked it was so far back there that there was now way i could tell what it says, i have a 4 door if that has anything to do with it, can u help me out?

unfortunately, that's the only other way to get the code. If it's too hard to see, as was previously posted, take it to a dealership, and they should be able to hook it up to their computer and get it for ya, and shouldn't take much time. I doubt they'd charge for it, if the dealership's service dept. has good people workin.

mine's the same way tho... owned the truck for comin up on 3 yrs now, and I still haven't gotten my code. Too lazy, and don't really need it anyway lol

SteveO2569 said:

Indeed, on the 4-door it's a little further up inside the space, and tough to see. A "mirror on a stick" from the local parts or hardware store usually works well. You could also reach up there and pop the release lever on the module and pop it right off. It's snapped into a bracket and it should pop off if you push on it the right way. I've never needed to myself though....

-Joe

Po I just found mine on a 4 door I just took the top bolt off and I could move it where I could see

If you can't see the code, try using the camera on your cell phone, you may also need to shine a flashligt in there.

When I bought my explorer, I took it to my Ford dealer to get the code (before I found out how to get it myelf), and they did charge a small fee.

If you have only one key, and need more, you will need to take the truck to a ford dealer to get additional keys programmed. Once you have 2 working keys, it's pretty easy to program additional ones, and to program remote fobs. The instructions are in the owner's manual.

Umm, sorry to disappoint, but they hosed you.... the original key should have opened both the doors and started the ignition. They didn't have a "valet key." Also, there should have been two keys and two remotes. You can't program additional keys or remotes without two working ignition keys.

Sounds to me like someone had ignition or door lock problems and replaced only the one that was bad instead of replacing the set or having the bad part re-keyed to match the existing locks.

As for yout Keypad Code, again, it's on the RAP module. Click the link for my gallery in my signature line and look at the gallery called "RAP Module Location" Make sure you look at the set of pics for the Explorer, not the F-150.

-Joe

Was most likely a repo, hence why the ignition key is different then the door locks. If you get a lazy shop they will just re key the ignition.

Back