"Keyless Entry" keypad bulb color change | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

"Keyless Entry" keypad bulb color change

ok, my first how to... Everyone said it couldn't be done, but I thought I would give it a shot.

Try this at your own risk.

Start off by removing the driver door pannel.
1. Remove 2 Phillips screws above door release handle
2. Pry out door release trim
3. Using a panel tool (or a flat screwdriver) pry around the bottom and sides of the door panel
4. Slide panel upward to remove.

Once the pannel is removed you will see this...
the back of keypad. It still attached to the driver door. There is a clip on the right side. Remove the clip

the speaker needs to be removed to gain access to the other end of the keypad. You need to disconnect the green plug.

the keypad, and the attached wires. The first piece of wire loom (closest to the keypad) must be removed.

back of the switch. The white stuff is silicone, and needs to be removed. Notice the 3 pins underneath the silicone. Those also have to be removed

in this picture the silicone is removed as well as the pins. Once the pins are removed the outer case can be slid off.

once the outer case is removed you are left with more silicone. I CAREFULLY peeled the silicone in one piece as the numbers are attached to all the silicone

once the silicone is lossened the numbers will slide off the casing. In this picture you see the number cover, and the green film over the fiber optic pannel DO NOT BEND OR CUT THE FIBER OPTICS it will damage it.

a view behind the green fiber optic pannel. The wires are fed through the case, to gain access to the circuit board you need to push the wires throught the case. This will push the board out

CAREFULLY peel the green film from the fiber optic pannel. This will allow the fiber optics to be what ever colour bulb you decide to use. Do not bend or cut the fiber optics. It will damage it, and not allow light to go through the pannel.

this is the back of the circuit board. The light bulb is soldered in the middle. The rest of the bulb is inside a housing which houses the fiber optics ends. Desolder the light bulb, and remove it and the housing from the circuit board.

once the light bulb is removed from the board it can be seperated from the housing. If you look close there are two clips on either side of the housing, sperate the two parts

solder on the LED bulb to the board. I used a blue 5mm wide angle bulb. The negative lead of the LED bulb gose to the yellow/black wire

I added a resitor for the LED on the yellow and black wire. The resistor must be put on the back side of the casing to allow the circuit board to be slide back into the casing

the fiber optics and light bulb housing are slid over the LED bulb and held into place with some hot glue (not pretty, but it does the trick)

reassembly begins. Don't forget to put the white frame behind the fiber optic pannel, I also added silicone to all the places silicone was removed and even to the top, bottoms and sides of the number covers (not on the actual number part it will block the light)

Drum roll please.... The Finished Product!! FYI... the lights only worked when it is plugged into the car. I tried testing it by putting 12 volts to the blue and yellow/black wire but it doesn't work.

Now thats sexy!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are there better LEDs to use for the style that already has LEDs in it? Or is the 3mm filed down the only method? I cant figure out what the ones on there are called to see if i could just buy those same LEDs in a different color.

smd leds

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is there anyone near me that is comfortable doing this mod? I would love to do this to my Mountaineer. However I dont feel comfortable doing this. Awesome mod.

Would anyone sell a couple to me? I love the blue look, its awesome. If so, how much including shipping to NH. Just curious. I'm not ver advanced when it comes to electronics and stuff, but i love the look! Very nice

Would anyone sell a couple to me? I love the blue look, its awesome. If so, how much including shipping to NH. Just curious. I'm not ver advanced when it comes to electronics and stuff, but i love the look! Very nice

Any & all sales should be done by PM or email. Not here.

What's wrong with the factory neon green color?

That is sexy! haha awesome job. Maybe I'll do this when I change out my dash lights...

Mine was LED as well.

Here is what the back of the LED version looks like

471641_7_full.jpg

Here is PCB with the factory LED's (sorry it's blurry) The factory LED's are small surface mount LED's and only 2mm X 2mm x 2mm.

471641_8_full.jpg

I just sanded down the top of a 3mm blue LED till its was about .5mm from the diode itself. The holes on the PCB are sized just right for the 3mm LED body. The main concern is getting the top of the LED flush with the button side of the PCB otherwise its in the way of the buttons. On the wire side of the PCB the case gives you more than enough room for mounting the LED's (mine stick out the wire side prob. 4mm or 5mm)

Finished PCB

471641_9_full.jpg

Finished Product

471641_10_full.jpg

OMG. That's great... O_O i need to do this...:eek:

sorry to bring up an old thread...but i have a question concerning this topic, somewhat. my keypad illuminates, but does not work to lock/unlock my truck. when i purchased it used from the dealer, they said one of the keys was broken, so i can neither use the original factory code or reprogram it with a new one NOT involving that key (need to enter original code first to do this)

i can't seem to find this part # ANYWHERE and there are NO junkyards around me..

Back