• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry stopped working?

nova801428

Reaction score
City, State
Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
86 Ford Ranger
Hey guys. My 2000 Explorer Keyless entry stopped working. When I use the remote to unlock it the lights come on like its getting unlocked. When I lock it using the remote it acts like its locked and honks the horn. Not sure where to start looking. I replaced the known bad splice location in the drivers side rear door floor panel but didnt make any difference. None of the locks move using any switch.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

Hey guys. My 2000 Explorer Keyless entry stopped working. When I use the remote to unlock it the lights come on like its getting unlocked. When I lock it using the remote it acts like its locked and honks the horn. Not sure where to start looking. I replaced the known bad splice location in the drivers side rear door floor panel but didnt make any difference. None of the locks move using any switch.

Any idea what's going on?

Thanks!

I think I figured it out. I removed the drivers side door kick panel and realized a monkey has been working on it in the past and used those quick tap/wire tap garbage and a black white wire was broken. I attached it together using my fingers and it only unlocks. Once I fix the rest of them I hope it works. It looks like an aftermarket alarm installed. I pulled down a "shock sensor" that was zip tied under the dash.

Ugh, yeah you need to look over every wire that could've been touched and re-do anything questionable, trying to remove everything to take it back to stock config and properly solder or crimp and cover every wire joint.

If snap on slices butchered the wire then you may want to cut and resolder it, then you don't have the insulation cut open there for corrosion to set in on the weakened wire.

I think I figured it out. I removed the drivers side door kick panel and realized a monkey has been working on it in the past and used those quick tap/wire tap garbage and a black white wire was broken. I attached it together using my fingers and it only unlocks. Once I fix the rest of them I hope it works. It looks like an aftermarket alarm installed. I pulled down a "shock sensor" that was zip tied under the dash.

Mine had an aftermarket add on "knightmare", it made the horn honk all on its own whenever it wanted, It didnt do anything more than what the car was already equipped with, I think dealerships are trying to "upsell" these to make extra bucks when people dont know that the vehicle is already equipped! I HATE STEALERSHIPS!
muQkXvDc7LBj1rArnqWaS4cm-fcpDuAJZyDpOstp1CpsiBcBRhkbiSxOcmdpIwTPsJgpaAgOgrHG_I2Y9M_H71HvanzcuxnM0racgo1QcZEhAWl_hBw99POkS6Exk76vws4j13Xz-K_D9AR85ZnSLajnRW4BUCrJ_heDCP4QJwT2nzYuwzyzqJgK5TXZaO1s0aXClHF38x3GocswDs41vha4DH74iRsx6NIL8a92ZZeekUHtDcnDRuEzcTfKgwEP2YzPQ4S7m7dJKYPrJ5825aj2fwEQki2OUuw0orB0XQHmrmcEXqqkcnhA9Al_xFd4wMqv0CVMZJrdRRTAKT0zJjwazlfZyZU8q4geprLlSNX_RxTk9xBPfeWJwWa9WowIrgrRZ7w8zDM5ZTxmXRCQAuJeH4iLdLOW_dhJzd7k6swzDxzOZlcrbnscbMcwuU_70oWVqSHcMFVSQegq-L6SIHMO1UjTJW37eUbMUPprLCUEr8zamTfenhbXvw39BWLMVpXscX5BT7e7z1C2HyQfHOgAniFmhaDIZBhLNyM7hso6SMqw5m-KunnYi5FXZvb_vKetSG52zCKjryHpxJzzmrwqO3l-N47Na-CtST-jkNRL2bctPfsZZb-YqM4amiW3dotD3CeOC2o9-Hklg3Kv7WPwuOKHgK8iwN9gTzT6TGNCBtZjEo6PmB4=w1263-h947-no

Back