Kill switch for Interior lights | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Kill switch for Interior lights

Hey guys...quick question for you (And yes, I did do a search before)

I've recently started carrying my kayak inside my truck (folding down the seats and sliding it in with it sticking out of the rear glass.) I have a 97 so there's no way for me to manually turn off my interior dome lights without pulling a fuse and that's getting pretty annoying. I'm not talking about driving with the rear glass open because after five seconds of drivingthe lights go out. I'm talking about being able to shut off the interior lights after I've parked and opened up the door but the kayak is still in the truck with the hatch open, hence the lights being on.

Any ideas what wire I'd have to cut? Thanks in advance guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just the switch that "tells" the back glass is open. It might be a magnetic switch, so you might be able to just put a magnet on it. Look around the perimeter of the glass and you should find it.

anyone else have input here?

wire a switch after the fuse for the interior lights.. turn it on when you're not carrying your kayak and turn it off when you do.. hide the switch from plain view and you're all set..

imo, that the easiest, fastest and simplest way to do it..

wire a switch after the fuse for the interior lights.. turn it on when you're not carrying your kayak and turn it off when you do.. hide the switch from plain view and you're all set..

imo, that the easiest, fastest and simplest way to do it..

So you're saying find the wire that goes to slot 27? (the one I always pull) That's what I was thinking about doing.

Sometimes other components are connected to the fuses too, check the book/schematics.
You do need the wire that controls the power before it breaks up to all of the door switches.

i do the same thing all the time on my second and third gens, i just push the window latch forward with my finger. the system assumes the back glas is closed. right were the rise is the loop on the window strikes against can just be pushed forward.

So you want the light off when the rear door is opened?
There is a little button that the door pushes in. Unbolt that and pull it out. Cut the wire attached to it and wire in a switch. Mount the switch near the rear door. The lights will still come on like normal with the switch in 1 position. The lights will not come on from the back door (but will come on from all the other doors) in the other position.

Back