kinda think I messed up | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

kinda think I messed up

Big Bear Bob

Reaction score
City, State
Big Bear area of Southern Ca. near "Rim of the World drive", & Sugarloaf Mountain
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 XLT /01 Dodge 1500 4X4
We did the TT and warrior shackle lift today. I have 31" BFG All terrain TA/KO's and we now have 34.5" and 35.4" all around from the ground to the center of the wheel well.

If anyone has 31 is this within reasone? We cranked the B rated torsion bars four times exactly each, but like I said we forgot to take measurements before we did the TT,

It seemed as if everything that could go wrong did. I lost my ractchet set, and we all ready had the X on the racks. Then we left the doors open too long and the battery died. THen we forgot to do the previous measureements.

Again thats way were trying to find someone with the same tires, and TT Warrior lift.

I sure would appreciate any help as how we did. I have know Idea other thaan it is igher, and the rear is much more stiff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My '01 with 31's, Warrior shackles & TT measures 34.5" from floor to center of wheel well at the rear and 35.0" from floor center of wheel well at the front. I have no tupperware on my fenders, so that's to the edge of the metal lip.

Thanks After we got back froma short shakedown about 10 miles, it hit me that we for got to check as I said above.

I when you lifted your truck, how many inches did you actually get?

I don'y have ant plastic on my wheel wells either. At on time I thought I wanted the wheel wells and flares but after what I've seen rocks do to the rocker pannels...

I'm thinking about raising the front about another 3/4 to 1"

Anyway thanks for the response

After they settle, re-adjust your bars to help even it out.

It doesn't really matter what your measurements before the lift would have been, the shackles don't give too much lift on the rear to make you bars need too much twistin on the front. (did that make sense?) Just aim for even now. Make sure you are on level ground when measuring and the air pressure is correct in every tire.

Sounds like it worked out pretty well then, all the tires are within 1/10th of an inche.

But how long does it take for the adjustments to settle in?

It looks like I got just over an inche in the back, so I see what you mean, but is that way everyone says to get an add a leaf to get up to two inches or so?

I got just about 2" out of mine, but it will vary depending upon which shackles Ford used for your vehicle. Add-a-leafs will give you extra lift in the back, but you want to be careful how much lift you do on the front so you don't mess up the cv joints. Usually 2" is the max recommended to keep the cv joints happy. You can go higher, but the cv joint life will probably suffer.

The way it looks 2nd gen X's are very near to 32" from the ground to the Top Center of the wheel well. If the BFG 31's gave me an inch and the truck has settled at 34.5 on all four corners.

That's sort of what I was thinking, because I got just about 1.25" with the Warrior Shackles, and we leveled all four wheels to the same height measured from the concrete to the top of the wheel wells and they're at or very close to 35" all around. I got about 1.45" all around.

I was hoping to get two inches with the shackles but figure I can get one more inch with the add a leafs. I figure if I can get two full inches of lift all around, and the added lift approximately 1" from the 31" BFG'S we would be in pretty decent shape for wheelin up here on the mountain.

That would also give me 9.7 inches of clearance on the rear diff, and about 11" on the lowest part of the front suspension.

Thanks for the input I being a newbie really appreciate all the help, and advice I can get.

One other thing I just drove a total of about 140 miles, down the hill and back. Is this enough time to give the lift etc. to settle in?

One other thing that seemed strange is that they all showed 35 inches fome the ground to the top center of the wheel well, except one. The right rear shows 34.5 or there about, can the shackles be that far off or should I try find a place that's a little more level when doing the measurements.

Thanks in advance
BBB

Ok Sears ran a check on my alignment and it was within tolerance. But he asked If I had been towing a boat or something,I told him I bought the X used and he said the rear Leaf Springs where weak, and showed me a dimple in the middle of the one most visable and said that was a sure sign that they had seen better days. So I asked him about add a leaf and he said that would be a simple solution, but at least I know why we only got an inch or less out of the Shackle TT lift.

The weak springs have nothing to do with how much you got out of your Warrior Shackles other than the difference from the original factory height and now. The Warrior shackles will give you 1/2 the difference in height between your new shackles and your old shackles. If your old shackles were 5" and your new ones are 8" you would get 1.5" regardless of how weak your springs are. Of course if your springs have sagged 1" over their life, you would only gain .5" over the original height. You would still gain 1.5" over your starting height though.

I'm not surprised at your findings for your front end alignment either. I have never had mine aligned and my tires have worn find the last 50K miles or so since I did the TT lift. From what I have seen, the tires sort of pivot as they move up and down so the contact patch remains somewhat consistent as the suspension goes up and down. Looking at it you would locgically conclude that as the tires drop down, the bottom would go in towards the vehicle with the top going away. That isn't the case though when the tires move. I have heard that the bottoms will actually move away from the vehicle as the tops move in which compensates for the movement by keeping the tires flat on the ground. That would explain why mine doesn't need an alignment. Then again though maybe the tolerance is pretty wide. As long as my tires wear normally, I get good mileage out of them and don't have any unusual road manners I won't worry about an alignment.

minor adjustments

Thanks for the info. I just measured the lift again and the rear has sgged down to about .5 to .75 and the drivers side front has dropped a 1/2". it looks like I might have one turn left on the torsion bar, so I seem to have lost on this over all. Oh well..

JDraper we made a few small adjustments and are at 34.5 on all four from the center of the well no plastic here either to the ground. That seems a little low for a TT Shackle lift riding on 31"s doesn't it? I have been thinking about add a leaf for the rear I believe they said it would add 1.75 to 2" and that way I believe with a full 2" TT the truck would more like 35" and change.
Thanks for the response I appreciate the help

changed my mind

The way it looks 2nd gen X's are very near to 32" from the ground to the Top Center of the wheel well. If the BFG 31's gave me an inch and the truck has settled at down to 34.5 on all four corners, thats about 1.5" total.

34.5 is less than we where hoping for, I was honestly hoping to get two inches with the shackles ans TT. But figure one and a half is pretty decent, Maybe I can get one more inch in the back with the add a leafs and get the full two full inches of lift up front, that I was hoping for. But the wheels have been re-aligned and it drives really nice.

This gives me also give near 8.7 inches of clearance on the rear diff, and about 10" on the lowest part of the front exhaust, and aroud 6 from the lowest part of the Arm.

I really think I'm going to have to think about this one. The car drivers beautifully, and is better than 1.5 inches higher than it was. I would say there's a good chance that I will leave well enough alone.

Thanks for the input, I being a newbie really appreciate all the help, and advice I can get.

Back