KKM Air intake or K&N air intake system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

KKM Air intake or K&N air intake system

Jester1994

Reaction score
City, State
Franklin, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'16 Explorer Sport
I am debating between an KKM air filter intake or an entire K&N performance intake system. (I will also, most likely be getting a new mass air flow sensor as well). Do any of you have any info on either system, pro's and con's between the 2, etc?

Thanks,
Joe

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the site. They both are basically the same. The KKM is about $100 cheaper but it is not certified 50 state legal. People here have said that they havent had any problems with inspections with the KKM.

there have been tons of posts regarding the kkm and k&n. Search for either one of em and youll get tons of info. Good luck!

id say get a MAC intake, its like the full thing like the k&n but its a lot cheaper. they run around 140.

hey...i just installed the KKM air filter yesterday...i really like it. it might just be in my head, but my explorer seems to have a little better response and there is definately a difference in the sound of the engine. with windows down and radio off i could hear it whistle when i accelerated. that is just my viewpoint on the KKM, and i cant compare it to anything else for lack of sufficient knowledge. hope this helps some.

Your by-line says you already have a K@N intake system. Switching to a KKM would'nt do anything for you. I don't think there will be a difference between the two filters other than the pitch of that damn whistling noise they make. The K@N FIPK gen 2 supplies you with new intake tubing and an engine heat shield. I think it will make the same whistle, just cost more.

my k&n doesnt wistle....but when i jump on the gas i can hear it suckin air likc crazy....all my friends think its soo cool. :)

also, my exaust has set off 8 car alarms so far.....hehe ya gotta love that

I'd definately recommend the K&N FIPK generation 2--I have it, and basically the same model explorer as you (minus the luxuries of an eddie bauer) and lemme tell you throttle response and hp is greatly improved (tho not the 15hp they claim) and yes, if you like the cool sound of the extra air flow in the engine bay then that is a bonus too.

As for the MAS, (i assume granatelli is one of the brands you're looking at?), I hear from both friends and professionals that it is the biggest waste of $2-300 you could possibly spend. It's the same concept as the helix power tower etc. and honestly, put the money towards an exhaust, headers, maybe some custom cams, hell even a hypertech power programmer but NOT an MAS.

Hey sanDiegoExplr does your exhaust sound deep and throaty or does it sound like an import car

Back