Labor for R&R intake manifold gasket set? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Labor for R&R intake manifold gasket set?

David in NC

Reaction score
City, State
North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 XLT
Is $250 a fair price to R&R the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on a 4.0 OHV (pushrod) engine? I've been pulling 0171 and 0174 codes, so I suspected leaking gaskets. My mechanic wants $250 for the job. How does this sound to you? TIA

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the gaskets are about $50, so it's up to you whether it's worth $200 for 2 to 4 hours work, depending on whether he's done it before or not.

Bill

Im going to have to do mine pretty soon too. Im just gonna do it myself, seems like an easy enough job not to have to pay someone to do it. But the price your quoted sounds about right with the labor rate most shops charge for the 4 hours.

It's a fairly easy task for the DIY. The only special tools you need are a deep dish 10mm socket. Everything else uses common tools.

i took me 2 hours to do mine mine is a sohc but should be about the same i had to have some torx bits also to do mine but other than that just common hand tools nothing hard about it not worth 200 imo id say its a 3 out of 10on the challenge scale

Back