Confusion on Intake manifold gasket replacement | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Confusion on Intake manifold gasket replacement

dae06

Reaction score
City, State
Minnesota
Year, Model & Trim Level
ranger-1991 and 1995
I am looking at buying a 1997 Ranger with the 4.0 liter V6. The seller tells me it needs an intake manifold gasket replacement. I've talked to 2 mechanics in my area for quotes for replacing this. I've read many great threads here and have some confusion.

Both of the mechanics I talked to said I need to replace the upper, lower gaskets along with the valve cover gaskets. I don't remember reading anything about the valve cover gaskets needing to be replaced for this procedure. They both said I need an oil change and coolant flush when doing this. I guess that makes sense to me.

Also, One mechanic said the gasket set was either $90.00 for one set or $130.00 for the better set. I've seem prices on this site that were more like $35.00 to $50.00 for the set. What's up with that?

Am I missing something or are they wanting to fix more than is needed.

BTW, none of these guys have seen the truck, I just asked them for prices to replace the Intake manifold gaskets.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The valve covers have to be removed to remove the lower intake manifold and gaskets will need to be replaced. Prices on gasket sets can vary based on manufacturer and contents of the kit. Just call some parts houses and verify the gasket set prices. Expect some mark up if the mechanic supplies the set.

Hope this helps.

EE

Thanks for the response.

I am doing this repair now-

Make sure your gasket kit has the valve covers included: THe Felpro kit is 70 (rock Auto)-93 (PB and AZ), so that $30 price did not include the valve convers. The valve covers overlap the intake manifold (go figure) so you get to do it all. I havre the accessories (AC, PS Pump and alt) unbolted and moved out of the way I have a number of DIY's and see my post on Intake Manifold (search my name for posts). How do you know it is the intake manifold? and yes, you will need to replace upper and lower.

darn forgot to check the date (it was an old post)

no comment

Back