Labor Hours on Front End Work | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Labor Hours on Front End Work

jsulli01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm hoping someone can help me estimate the labor time of replacing the front upper and lower control arms (both sides) on my 2003 explorer. The price the mechanic gave me was staggering considering the cost of parts.
I appreciate the help guys.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The uppers are very easy and quick, assuming that the ball joint comes out without having to put several hours of heat and pressure on it (and sometimes you do).

I'd estimate an hour to do both if the joints come out relatively easy.

I've never done the lowers but I'm curious as to why you'd be replacing the lower arm? Are you trying to replace the lower ball joint or do you have some type of damage? Lowers would be the same deal-you get the ball joint out of the wheel knuckle without much difficulty and it is a piece of cake.

I'm only guessing on the lowers since I've never done them but they seem like they'd be more difficult to get out so I'd double them. Call it 2 hours at most for the lowers if the ball joints come out easy.

Thanks brother.
I am replacing the lowers at the advice of the mechanic. I'm not surprised, my Ex has been taking a beating between off-roading and all of the freaking potholes in NYC!

In my experience, the uppers took longer than the lowers. I did this job a couple weeks ago. I had to remove the upper arms to press the ball joints out. I couldn't get the tool I had up in there to do it. The lowers were a piece of cake. Lowers probably took me 5-10 minutes a piece from the time I took the snap ring out till the time I was putting the new snap ring on the new one. Uppers took longer because the bolts holding the a-arms were rusty, I had to fight them probably 10 minutes a piece just to get the arms off. After that, it took me 5 minutes to press out and in the new joints. I took about 5 more minutes per arm cleaning up the threads. Then about 5 minutes a piece re installing them. Taking the hub loose, and removing the caliper, and the nuts on the ball joints took me maybe 15 minutes per side, probably about the same putting it back together also. I had air tools when I could use them. I would say a decent mechanic, with air tools should be able to do this job in 2 hours or less. Plus you will need an alignment after the a-arms are removed and replaced since it will throw the alignment off. While I was in there, I also replaced my tie rod ends. Took maybe another 10 minutes or less per side. That way everything critical in my front end was new. Seems like my boots on my upper joints and tie rod ends were rotten and the grease pretty much dried up out of them. I put all greasable joints in now. I noticed I had a bad joint when I ruined a good tire. I ate the inside tread off, so it also cost me 2 new tires, if I were to address the problem sooner, I could have gotten at least another year out of them. I didn't have any shaking or noise or anything, I just seen the tire was wore out on day.

Just go tmine done yesterday cost me 300 for both upper and lower on both sides

Thanks for all of the feedback. I plan on taking this on myself then heading into the shop for an alignment and to have the new tires mounted. Appreciate the advice!

Back