92 Explorer needs front end work before alignment | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

92 Explorer needs front end work before alignment

Teddydog

Reaction score
City, State
Dupont, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer XLT
Took my 92 in for alignment today and it needs some work before it can be done. I thought it might and now I have a list of the things I need to correct.

They said both passenger side ball joints are worn, the lower more than the upper. Also the "radius arm" bushings are shot (I assume this means lower control arm?). Good news is that the left side is all good and the tie rod ends are good on both sides. Also the brakes are good. Does need shocks, though.

The total estimate is $630 parts and labor, alignment included. Of course I'm going to do the work myself. They said the driver's side is fine (ball joints and bushings)...should I go ahead and do both sides anyway? If I'm taking it halfway apart anyway to replace the shocks... Or should I wait to do the other side until they wear out? Anything else I should replace while I'm in there?

This is not a daily driver. It will be for occasional use hauling yard/garden stuff, going onto logging roads, some towing later on. I can kick the Corvette out of the garage for a while and take a bit of time tearing apart the front end.

Rob

I would replace both sides since your going to have the disassembled anyway. The radius arm bushings are a real pain to replace because the arm is riveted in. You need some good tools and research "radius arm bushing replacement" first.

Wow, that does look like a pain. That part of the quote was $111 for labor. Maybe I should let them do it. Thanks for the heads up.

Back