• Register Today It's free!

Lacking power

jamesj

Reaction score
City, State
port alberni bc
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 xlt
Hello everyone, I just bought a 2000 explorer automatic 4 liter sohc. The truck seemed to be lacking power so I did a partial tune up including plugs, wires, oil, filter, injector cleaner. the tune up did not help. The truck starts great, idles awesome and the check engine light is not on. It just seems that it should have more power when I step on it. any ideas? things to try?

Thank you

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whats the mileage like on it? And what kind of gas mileage are you getting? Does it sputter at all after warmed up or anything?

Thank for your quick reply. it has 220,000 kilometers or 136,000 miles and Does not splutter at all. I haven't really had the time to check exact gas mileage but it doesn't seem too bad.

Do a search for the "ziptie mod" it did the trick for me!

Okay so, I searched for info about the ziptie mod. I found tonnes of people talking about it but nothing about actually doing it. can anyone give me the directions? there was a how to but the link is broken

thank you very much

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=56393&highlight=throttle

This is the link I used, as soon as you squeeze in there and take a look with a flash light it will all be VERY clear.:)

edit:
Sorry the link doesnt work there either!
Well the short of it is if you take a look at the throttle cable under the dash below the steering wheel, there might be some slack in the cable that prevents it from getting WOT. basically what you do is tie a ziptie around the end of the cable to take up the slack and thus giving you WOT. if you read through the thread there are some tips, but this is the basic idea.

Back