• Register Today It's free!

Lane Keeping

duke594

Reaction score
City, State
TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
2021 Explorer Limited
Recently I had my Explorer Limited in for service and was given a loaner Explorer Limited. I noticed the loaner had a lane assist symbol in the top left corner of the Information Display. However, my Explorer Limited does not have this symbol even though both are the same model. I cant find anything about it in the owners manual either. Am I missing something? How do you turn this symbol on and off? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are two types of lane assist. Need to narrow down which one you are talking about.

The first one is designed to alert you when you drift to close to the lane markers. The steering wheel vibrates and pushes the car back toward the center. This is indicated in the center of the display by red and yellow lines surrounding a picture of a vehicle. This system is activated and de-activated by a push button on the end of the turn signal stalk.

The second one is a function of intelligent cruise control and only works when cruise control is activated. More specifically, intelligent cruise control must be activated within the system. On the sync touch screen, there is a section for cruise control settings. Go into that and make sure intelligent is selected. Once that is selected, you can use the little steering wheel icon on the left button assembly on the steering wheel. Whie in cruise control, turn on that steering icon and the vehicle will maintain the center of the lane when driving.

It is for the Lane Keeping not the Lane Centering. My screen looks like the one below, however the loaner Explorer Limited looked the same with an extra symbol in the top left corner next to the Fuel Economy text. I circled it in red below. It was white when it couldn't find the lines of the lane, then changed green when it could find the lane line and turned yellow (I believe) if I went over the line similar to the main lane keep info in the bottom middle of the screen.
1598366093556.png

It is for the Lane Keeping not the Lane Centering. My screen looks like the one below, however the loaner Explorer Limited looked the same with an extra symbol in the top left corner next to the Fuel Economy text. I circled it in red below. It was white when it couldn't find the lines of the lane, then changed green when it could find the lane line and turned yellow (I believe) if I went over the line similar to the main lane keep info in the bottom middle of the screen.
View attachment 320520
I believe you need to push the button on the end of the turn signal stalk. Once pushed, the icon should illuminate as the button activates and deactivates the system.

If you are referring to Lane Keeping, then as Buzzard302 and SES9 mentioned you have to press the button on the end of the turn signal lever.
Page 261 of the Manual (3rd print)
Switching the System On and Off
Press the button on the direction indicator
stalk to switch the system on or off.

Peter

The system is switched on in both vehicles. That is how you get the lane keep system symbol in the bottom middle of the display. I am specifically asking why the loaner had a secondary symbol in the top left corner while mine does not even with the lane keep switched on in both vehicles.

The system is switched on in both vehicles. That is how you get the lane keep system symbol in the bottom middle of the display. I am specifically asking why the loaner had a secondary symbol in the top left corner while mine does not even with the lane keep switched on in both vehicles.
I confirmed on my vehicle that the symbol you are referencing toggles on and off with the push of the button on the end of the turn signal stalk

Depending on which menu screen I’m using, the icon disappears for me. Either switch your menu display or as others mentioned, the toggle will make it display on any menu.

He is right. I noticed that on a 2021 model. I have a 2020 limited. My friend also has a limited and his has it mine do not.

Can one of you post a video demo of that? I cannot seem to get mine to show by any means.

Back