Laptop formatting/installing XP Pro | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Laptop formatting/installing XP Pro

section525 said:
Doood.. laptops don't come with floppys anymore! At least in CA. :p

I used to own a Toshiba that had a floppy drive.....the floppy drive never worked right anyway....it used to crash Windows (3.1.1) whenever you tried to save to the A: drive...that computer was the biggest POS I have ever owned and a total waste of money....

I'm thinking that your Win XP CD may be defective. Have you been able to install on a different puter? If so, then maybe a problem with the CD drive itself.

I don't know whether you can install from an external drive, but that's what I would try next if possible.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Actually, that might work. It loads proper drivers at the beginning and asks if you need certain drivers.

But I can't get it into a mode where I could select an external drive. I'm working on getting a Win98 boot floppy onto a CD so I can run fdisk.

Wish I could help, you ******* guy. :D

Still pluggin along. Got it fdisked and formatted with win98 boot disc on CD. :cool:

Now.. I guess I'll try to run the XP disc again? My external HD is USB. Can I get the computer to see it in DOS??

E:/ ? :confused:

Seems like it should show up, but you might need a driver cause its a USB device?

I deal with Windows as little as possible :p

Holy crap. It did show up! :eek: :p But when I went to run the Setup.exe it said it can't be ran in DOS mode. WTF. I knew that too. Now what? Try booting from the external HD?

Do you have to change CMOS settings to boot from the External drive?

I know how to do it on a Mac, but I've never had to do it on a PC.

Most of the PCs I have to use are either running DOS 3.3 or Win 98.

I found where you can change which HD it boots from. Theres only one option, but maybe that will change when I plug the External into it. Right now I have it on this laptop, moving my boot disk on it. 10 more minutes or sooo...

Section pwn3d that laptop.

Back