Latest on Rear Diff additives? (Non-Limited Slip) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Latest on Rear Diff additives? (Non-Limited Slip)

RickM

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 Explorer 4.6 XLT 4x4
OK, I'm about to change the rear diff fluid on my non-limited slip unit.

Aside from the "upgraded"/higher viscosity Ford oil is there any additive I can use that may help with the whine? Past threads mention that Lucas didn't help.
Are there other additives alternatives to consider?

Even if I get temporary relief it's better than nothing.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Question to you is why are you adding higher viscosity oil to the rear end? I haven't seen any really good additives to the rear end. Lucas is just a masking product in my opinion but some people swear by it.

Question to you is why are you adding higher viscosity oil to the rear end? I haven't seen any really good additives to the rear end. Lucas is just a masking product in my opinion but some people swear by it.

Ford published a TSB on the viscosity change. Also, if one of these additives successfully masks the noise I'm 100% fine with that. It appears rare for the rears to self destruct. Therefore, my only issue is the noise.

Again, any improvement will be welcome.

From what I remember the rear end took either a 75-90 or a 75-140 fluid. I'm leaning more towards the 75-140 end. If your rear end is making noise you're really at the point of no return. Whats the mileage and when was it done last? I remember these things getting crummy at 15K and the ford interval was 100k to 150k for the rear ends

The rear end can take either but the latter (75-140W) supersedes the original, in part because of this issue. Ref TSB 05-23-3

Thought so. Really your best bet is stick the 75-140 syn and some lucas and call it a day. Hopefully all goes well with it.

Back