Leaf Spring Rear Eye Bushing - Too Small | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaf Spring Rear Eye Bushing - Too Small

clevalley

Reaction score
City, State
Warrenton, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer XLS
2000 Explorer 4-door -

Bought Energy Suspension 4.2124 kit and have a problem with the front eye bushing being too small.

I removed the outer sleeve of original bushing as it was severely corroded... the Energy Suspension directions do say to remove both OEM outer sleeves for front and rear eye. If I left the outer sleeve in the bushings were still a bit loose, but they were corroded so bad they would have chewed the new bushings up real quick.

The inner diameter of the front leaf spring eye is ~ 45mm - the OD of the rear eye bushing is ~40mm.

I called Energy Suspension and they were of no help has the kit is for a 91-94 and I have a 2000; they do not make the kit for a 2000 and will not support it. I tried to ask them if they could look up bushing sizes based off of my measurements but they said I had to speak with a re-seller as they do not sell directly to the public - nice customer service. :thumbdwn:

I need to make new sleeves to fill the gap and looking for some advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's really not their fault. You bought a kit for an entirely different generation vehicle and they're not a retail store. I have to defend them in this case. Your best bet is to call up Summit Racing and speak to a rep through them. Or just go factory.

Yeah you are right - but the guy was snotty on the phone... I did explain the kit was for a different year and was looking for him to search to see if they manufactured something to fit based off of ID of the rear eye - this is where I have the issue of their customer service. Maybe he was having a bad day.

Either way, I need to figure out a way to sleeve to fill the gap or go OEM and press it in - but wanted to at least attempt to use what I have and am open to outer sleeve ideas.

Thanks!

I think I may have found a fix; American Sleeve Bearing sells a steel bushing with a OD 45mm, ID 40mm, length of 70mm (will have to trim the length down) - the sleeve is coated internally with a PTFE liner and should be nice and smooth for the poly bushing, and fills the gap.

Energy suspension part # P 3.2125 1.75 barrel dia. For a 9/16" bolt dia. Made for a Chevy truck. Leave the old bushing sleeve in the spring eye. $20 on Amazon. Randy

Back