• Register Today It's free!

Leaf springs

nightlystars

Reaction score
City, State
washington pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport xl
Hey all i have a 94 explorer sport sitting in my drivway and i have a broken leaf right leaf spring in the back, trying to save myself from going to look to see how many springs r on there as i have no idea what i am looking for.
Am spossed to go and find out does my explorer have 3,4, or 5 springs on it. Does anyone know how many it should have?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe its a 5 leaf pack.. If one of the leafs are broken, I'd recommend just getting a new leaf pack built or going to the junk yard and finding a leaf spring pack from any 91-01 4 door explorer. If possible grab both sets since more than likely the leafs may not be the same arch if you only install one.

Thanks, dad was calling around a few junk yards but needeed to how many leaf springs i had to call the junkyard

Well i broke down and got under neathe the thing, from what they were described to me to look like they sure didnt look like i pictured them. Know its broke but cant see excatly where it is broke at. Can hear it bumping while driving down the road. It has 3 leaf springs...

Three leaves plus the flat over load leaf= four leaf pack.

most of the times you can hardly even see the break...usually, you get your springs rusty...the springs will actually crack from one rust spot to the next as a hairline crack, then snap...that is why i keep my leafs oiled every so often...wd40 works fine just to keep the rust off of them, and as mentioned before, buy both sets at the same time...

I looked and i will have to remember wd 40, And called around to several junk yardsa abd for what they want dad (i think) is just going to get a brand new set and have them put on... But everyone seems to be out of stock on the part i need so have to wait till they come in which will be the 16th, Is it okay to drive my car that long with the spring being bad, Not going far about maybe 10 mile round trip to work and back, and theres no highway involved

I only saw the 3 and that was including the one overlay, might have to call ford and double check that it is only 3 not 4, if its 4 then it will be lots easier to get them in cause those ones r in stock. Jim mines not the xlt its just the xl so that might be y mines a bit diffrent

if that seperates and falls out it will be a hazard for whose behind you and your whole rear end will have no control...i wouldn't suggest it...you can pull the wheel off, draw a little pic of your springs, (1 flat and 3 curved?) and go get them...don't forget, get both sides or you will have a difference in sag and handling for sure...

The only problem is that no one called everywhere has my leaf springs in stock and my dad even called a buddy of his that works for i think autozone or one of that chain and he cant even get them cause they arent even in stock @ the wharehouse and the local junkyards want a 100 a spring brand new. If it gets to bad i will switch veichales with my mom and mine can sit @ my parents but i dont want to do that cause dad wants to sell my explorer and give me a 99 dodge interpid thats a boat....

email this guy, kbabiak@comcast.net , his name is karl and he is in folsom pa....he's the greatest when it comes to parts and if he can't help, he'll know who can... tell him tbars sent you...

1st gen sports have spring packs made of the main leaf (with the eyes), a second leaf and the overload. So three leaf spring pack, the 4 door models had 4 leaves.

Don't mind me I'm half blind. Did not see that you were talking about a sport and not a four holer. I'm with Blee on this one get a junkyard set out of a four door and put them in.

Have called the local junk yards and no one has them or if they have them they r a 150 a piece brand new, we can get them new for 50 a piece. Just have to wait till they come in...

did you email kbabiak? read my post, up a couple spots...

Actually just found out that the parts will be in on Friday "yay" but i will keep his name handy just in case i ever need any parts for anything. I was dreading driving my car around till the 16th, but dont have to now.

Back