• Register Today It's free!

leaking 5 spd tranny

92 green sport

Reaction score
City, State
long island New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport
Has anyone changed these three rubber seals in the mazda 5 spd? Is it as easy as it seams in the tech post? Can you really do it easily with the tranny still in the truck? Any additional info would be helpful. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've never replaced the plugs in an X, but I've done several Rangers. The easiest way I've found to replace the plugs is to unbolt the front seats, pull the carpet back and remove the tunnel covering the tranny. You can easily access the plugs from there and you don't have to crawl around under the vehicle to do it.

You don't have to unbolt front seats, just unscrew four bolts from shifter rubber cover, and you will see aluminium top of the gearbox.On the rear end of the cover is the place where the ruber seal are.If they are not completely wrecked, don't pul out but try to vripe around several times with teflon (PDFE) and leaking will stop.In my case it stops.

I think the famous Explorer maintenance site suggested putting RTV around the plugs

Back