leaking front differential | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

leaking front differential

goldenmonkey

Reaction score
i was changing my buddies oil in his 2002 explorer with the 4.6 v8 and awd the other day and noticed a leak on the front differential.

initially it looked to me as if it was leaking from the bottom of the cover, but after searching on here there seems to be alot of problems with the pinion seal leaking.

how can I be sure which one is leaking?

if it is the front cover, is there a gasket or is it just a silicon thats on there.

any help is appreciated,

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my front dif has been leaking for 2 years, its a TSB, but im out of warranty, so im not fixing it

Clean it up then watch daily to you figure it out.
By the way, my heep front diff is leaking out the side seal for about 4 years now. . its a dana front. IMHO if the drip overnight is like dime don't worry, just make sure you check the oil level and keep it full. Mine barely drops in a year if at all, still the drip.
Only exception is if it leaks more when moving then stopped.

they have a saying jeeps like to 'mark' where they sleep. . .lol

Clean it up then watch daily to you figure it out.
By the way, my heep front diff is leaking out the side seal for about 4 years now. . its a dana front. IMHO if the drip overnight is like dime don't worry, just make sure you check the oil level and keep it full. Mine barely drops in a year if at all, still the drip.
Only exception is if it leaks more when moving then stopped.

they have a saying jeeps like to 'mark' where they sleep. . .lol

+1 for American Car quality:rolleyes:

honestly it was dry for the first 8 years and 100k mi or so . . .i think the leak was more do to replaing the u-joints, and some shop wasn't carefull about putting the driveshaft back in. . . jeeps are a special breed. . .

my front dif has been leaking for 2 years, its a TSB, but im out of warranty, so im not fixing it

Do you happen to have that TSB#? I have same problem, but mine should be covered under ESP warranty. They told me it was a 4 hour job. Thanks.

I almost bought an 04 explorer premium or whatever they call it.

It also had a front differential oil leak.
I told the dealer about this.

He said " well if you buy the truck, then we'll work something out to get it fixed"

And im like "bullshit, your going to sell me a truck with NO warranty, then expect me to believe your gonna live up to your word?.....your a CAR SALESMAN, you lie on a daily basis!"

I have a 2003 explorer V8 AWD and it is leaking from the rear differential around where the cv axle goes into it. My mechanic checked the level said it was full and told me not to replace the seal until it starts dripping when parked. I already bought the seal and am not sure whether to replace it yet. Do you think my mechanic is right?

just had mine done under my extended warrenty for my 04'. it wasnt bad at all. just "seeping" a little. Better ford foot the bill then me
:)

its the pinion seal. it takes about 15 minutes to fix and costs about $10. is replacing the diff worth it. my 04 with the 4.6 did the same. quick fix, do it

I got the seal and it cost $39 at the ford dealer. I was told I needed to pull the wheel and hub and gently pry or tap out the cv axle from the rear differential. Is this correct?

Back