Leaking Hose 2009 Explorer Driver Side Behind Rear Wheel | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Hose 2009 Explorer Driver Side Behind Rear Wheel

DSadler

Reaction score
City, State
Worcester, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2009 Explorer Eddie Bauer
I'm trying to determine what the hose is called, or purpose of the hose, that is located behind the rear wheel on the driver side. 2009 Eddie Bauer edition Ford Explorer. There are actually 3 hoses that are connected to aluminum tubing and feed up to underside of vehicle. The hose appears to be leaking a green solution like anti-freeze. Can someone tell me what this hose is for and also provide replacement instructions.

When I say "behind rear wheel" I mean it is further back toward the end of the vehicle. The hose is not located on the wheel or behind the wheel itself.

Thanks for the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yeap, PotatoEx got it pegged.

Should be a very simple fix. Pickup some stainless steel hose clams and replace the rusted ones while up and in there. Note if you pull off either hose you'll loose coolant and likely need to top up the system once the air gets out of the line.

Thanks to all for the help.Will let you know how I make-out.

Thanks again for the help. The 2009 explorer actually belongs to my 85 year old father-in-law. A veteran of the US Navy, great guy and super grandparent. So your information helped a veteran.

I purchased 2 "U" shaped hoses that go on the engine (Advance Auto part # 87730). Length and diameter were right for rear heater core. Installed with 4 stainless steel worm clamps. I did lose 3 qts of anti-freeze when taking off the old hoses. Refilled with appropriate anti-freeze. Took the car for a short ride to get it good and hot. Checked rear hoses for heat - they got hot after the short ride. And I got hot air from the rear vents. Topped off the anti-freeze as it had emptied the reservoir during the ride. Checks for leaks 3 hours later. Think I'm all set. Will keep an eye on it.

I was at a loss as to what I was dealing with and how to proceed. Thanks again for the post and information.

Back