• Register Today It's free!

Leaking Oil

rreinhardt

Reaction score
City, State
Anchorage AK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 XLT
My wife has a 97 XLT with 4.0 and she leaves a few drops of oil when she parks for any amount of time. When I took the vehicle to the oil change shop they said it was an oil pan gasket leak but I pretty much know (and HOPE) thats not the case. Although the oil pan is covered in oil, the leak appears to originate at the top/front/middle underneath the thermostat. A guy at work said its possible that the bottom half of the plentumn could be loose and causing the leak. I have an appointment for Friday morning to take it to the shop but would like some ideas of what Im in for. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It maybe a loose intake manifold

I know its not the best solution, but sometimes for a very slow leak that stop leak stuff you add to your oil will stop it, and sometimes an STP will slow it down

But just remember quick fixes like this are never as good as right fixes

Wrong! hahaha
Get a flashlight and trace the intake manifold around the top of the block.
Those intake manifold bolt loosen all the time.
If it is the intake manifold:
-You want to take chances? Try to tighten the bolts first before you replace the gasket.
-You couldn't put enough stuff in there to stop anything... (that stuff is junk anyway ......it clogs the insides)
-Next thing you will be loosing coolant.

Good luck

Thank you for the responses. I did look under the hood and tried to trace around with a flashlight. There is so much stuff crammed into that small space. The highest point where any wetness/oil was visable was just underneath the thermostat. Im hoping that the loose bolts will be the answer here, that would be uncommon for me but would make me happy. Thanks again for the input. Will post solution on Monday.

Second that on all the crap in there
Think postive the intake manifold is right behind thermostat. It could be taht simple

Don't over torque em, those do not get muscled down.

Go for it and good luck

After having the vehicle in the shop they found that the timing cover was loose. It required taking some brackets off to access it but they tightened the cover and seems to not be seeping any longer. I have some problem with that type of issue being present in a vehicle like this but live and learn I guess. Thanks all for the responses and hope this may help in the future.

Back