Leaks / Service Package | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Leaks / Service Package

sslinn

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
Hi, just looking on opinions on whether I am being paranoid or not. We have a 2015 Explore with the extended warranty and service package.

We took it in for it's regular service in the summer and an oil leak was discovered, tying the vehicle up for 3 days. We just took it in again and now the transmission is apparently leaking. Again, will be 3 days to fix.

Is it normal for a vehicle that is 5 - 6 years old to start experiencing these leaks or is the dealership just taking advantage of the fact that they can bill Ford the the work.
My other two fords didn't have any like issues for 10+ years.

Just looking for some thoughts. Thanks!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would think that leaks are possible regardless of the vehicle's age. Did you notice and oil on the ground? Did they show you the leaks before doing any work? Where was the oil leaking from? That should have been noted on the invoice/work order.

Peter

I would think that leaks are possible regardless of the vehicle's age. Did you notice and oil on the ground? Did they show you the leaks before doing any work? Where was the oil leaking from? That should have been noted on the invoice/work order.

Peter
I didn't see any thing on the ground. They said they were small leaks that should be fixed. maybe I am just paranoid. The cost to fix without the extended warranty is scary though. :(

Vehicle life is calculated by distance traveled, not years
So you should tell us how Mileage your car?

My explorer 2012 3.5 was start leaking from rear mean seal after 230k miles and The oil leaking could be seen coming from under engine (look to the image below) if you dont see any oil under engine that mean there are no leaking and you need to check oil dipstick if the oil level on dipstick lower than normal that maybe the problem is from pcv valve need to replace

IMG_20201229_234230-picsay.jpg

My explorer 2012 3.5 was start leaking from rear mean seal after 230k miles and The oil leaking could be seen coming from under engine (look to the image below) if you dont see any oil under engine that mean there are no leaking and you need to check oil dipstick if the oil level on dipstick lower than normal that maybe the problem is from pcv valve need to replace

View attachment 326113
It hasn't hit 100,000 KM / 60,000 Miles yet.

View attachment 326113
My 2016 Sport was leaking from this exact same spot. Rear main seal replaced, once they separated the trans they found the trans seal leaking as well. Thank God it was under the 5 yr warranty mark.

Back