• Register Today It's free!

leaky steering gear

logeorge

Reaction score
City, State
Ardmore, AL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
How hard is it to replace the seals or rebuild the steering gear on a '92 Explorer? A mechanic told me it's hard to put new seals in without tearing them and I would be better off to buy a rebuilt gear. Being a natural cheapskate, I'd rather repair the one that I have, but will get the rebuilt one if necessary. What you think? L. O. G.

There's nothing difficult about it aside from needing a bit of creativity to get the old seals out if you don't have the special tools for them (or don't want to fully disassemble the entire box).
I used compressed air to dislodge the input shaft seal, however the sector shaft seal will require a little more than that... I removed the snap ring retainer, started the engine, then crank the wheel to full lock one way or the other. The pressure will blow the sector seal out. Just be prepared with some pans & cut-apart cardboard boxes, as this will be messy lol.

When installing the new sector seal, put a couple wraps of electrical tape over the shaft splines to protect the seal from nicks or cuts.

Back