Leaky transfer case-help!

jk051

Reaction score
City, State
Tulsa, Ok
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 4.0 OHV 5spd
Hi all,

Several weeks ago i noticed oil stains on the garage floor right under my explorer (98xlt 4x4 4.0 OHV 5spd). I crawled under and observed that the transfer case seems to be leaking. I have noticed that there seems to be fluid dripping from where the arrow is in the picture (im not sure what that is). However, there is also alot of oil splattered around the area of the transfer case, which makes me think the output shaft seal is leaking. Just looking at the output shaft it doesnt appear to be leaking, however I dont see how the fluid from whatever the thing in the picture is could get splattered all around since it is lower than the output shaft. I plan to change the fluid in the transfer case as soon as i get a free saturday (speaking of which, what brand of fluid should i use?) as i fear it may be pretty low. So basicly my question is: How can i fix the thing in the picture if it is the source?/if its the output shaft?/Any other advice?

Thanks

IMG_7906small.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The thing in the picture your arrow is pointing to is the rear speed sensor for your transfer case. Yes, you can remove it (carefully !) and check the o-rings. As you noted though, it probably isn't the source of your leak.

Clean the back of the transfer case, especially around the output shaft real well, drive the truck around the block, and look again.

As for fluid, Mercon will work fine.

Wipe the area around the sensor and the output shaft of the transfer case clean. Then remove the sensor and apply a little bit of RTV around it and re-install. Drive it around after the RTV dries and see if it still leaks. If it does leak, then you know its the rear seal of the transfer case. If it doesnt, well then problem solved.

Allrighty, I removed the sensor and applied some sealant to it so we'll see how that goes. There was fluid past the gasket of the sensor, but i cant tell if it is due to a leak or if the fluid from the other leak had just gotten in there. Its snowing heavily here right now so Ill have to wait awhile to drive it around. If it turns out to be the rear seal on the TC, how much is it going to cost me to get it fixed?

Its snowing heavily here right now so Ill have to wait awhile to drive it around. If it turns out to be the rear seal on the TC, how much is it going to cost me to get it fixed?

Well first things first, send half of that snow over here ;)

Secondly, if the rear seal is leaking, as I recall (I havent opened a transfer case in so long now :( ), all you need is the right socket and a breaker bar (or an impact gun) to remove the yoke. After that, you should be able to pop the seal out.

Lol, well youre welcome to all of the snow.

Well that doesnt sound too bad. Have you seen any threads around here that would serve as a how to guide? This will be the first time I have worked on my TC.

Well it seems that it is in fact the rear seal. Can anyone give me anymore details/guides as to how to replace it?

Well it seems that it is in fact the rear seal. Can anyone give me anymore details/guides as to how to replace it?

I'd like to see some details on this as well!

Remove the rear output flange!!! REMOVE IT!! AHHH!!! *explodes*

Same Problem

I have a leaky transfer case too. Mine is from the center of it where the two sides of the case itself, connect. I am getting it fixed but i was wondering how long it will take? There is oil all over my driveway. Is this problem costly? I am only 16 and I got my 00 Explorer 2 weeks ago. It is under warranty but it it happens when I have to pay for it will it kill me?

It can be costly if you've mechanically damaged the transfer case. The two case halves do have a gasket material in between them so hopefully its just that. Needless to say, if you can see that there's an obvious physical separation between the two case halves (thats not due to the gasket), then dont move the vehicle (unless you remove the driveshafts) cauz you'll be doing more damage to case and its internals.

There is no physical separation to the case. If it is just the gasket that needs to be replaced that will be a quick job, right? Its ok to drive it for the time being till i get it fixed this weekend if it is the gasket, right?

First see if the bolts holding the two case halves aren't loose.

If you can find where its leaking and the problem is just the gasket, maybe some RTV forced in there willl work (drain as much of the fluid first)

ok i will look at it and thanks for the suggestions and help

Back