• Register Today It's free!

Leaky Transmission

ZGraham96

Reaction score
City, State
Salinas, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Eddie Bauer
Hello, I have a '93 Eddie Bauer with transmission leak. I loose about a quarter to half a quart a week and it appears to be from the shifting linkage. Can anyone point me in the right direction for a new bushing or ideas for any other possible places for the leak to occur? Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that bore is a known trouble spot... on many rebuilds it needs oversize boring and sleeving, but that requires the trannie be removed. You can remove the shaft assembly and replace the seal.... without removing the transmission...whether that would be enough I cannot say.... but it is worth a shot. All you have to do is remove the pan.... everything else can be done from there.

I would guess it has a O-ring on it. Most automatics do. If indeed thats where its leaking its not that hard to fix.

I would clean it off really well and try to pinpoint the leak for sure before dropping the pan though. It could be leaking in a number of places other than the shift linkage.

It's more than a simple O-ring. There were two designs, but it is a metal inside reinforced O-ring or double O-ring "seal". The old one has to be pried out and new one driven in. I think there are pics in the Diary.

Oh ok...I didn't remember that from the rebuild I did last. Its been a while since I have been in one.

Back