LED Conversion: Fog Lamp, Rear Window Defroster and Wiper switches | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Conversion: Fog Lamp, Rear Window Defroster and Wiper switches

I thought i would share how i did my led conversion on these parts. I read over Mustangp51 write ups (which were all done really well i may add) on his conversion which gave me more confidence on what i was getting myself into. I liked everything he did except the fact that he ran wires from his leds to the wiring harness. This is only because it seemed like it could be a hassel if i ever needed to pull the switch out for what ever reason an would need to disconnect the wires. My write up will not show you the full process of opening up your dash and removal of the swtiches since i feel like that information is already on the forum and i would just be repeating what others have already done.
So my goal was to do all of these led conversions using no wires what so ever. Over all i achieved that. So far all my lights work fine and i have had no problems what so ever.

My led specs.
5mm Blue Leds
5,000mcd
About a 25 degree viewing angle
470ohm resistors used

First let me start with the fog lamp and rear window defrost switches. Once i had both switches removed i removed the light bulb from both of them. Then i took my dremel and removed some of plastic around the light bulb housing until i had something that looked like this.
Leds003.jpg

Next i tinned the flat metal pieces on the switch with solder. After that i first soldered on the resistor to the metal strip closest to the edge since that one is our postive lead. Then i took my led and cut about half of the negative lead off. I took this little piece and bent it like and L and soldered that onto the other metal stip (negative). I wish i would have taken more pictures but i hope you all get the idea. Then i took my dremel and used a grinding stone to flatten the top of my led so now it looks like a top hat. I only took as much of as was needed to make it flat. Now i found i got a little solder happy and it decreased the size of the original hole size. So i took my dremel again and increase the hole size so the led bulb would fit snuggly in there. Once this was done i just stuck the led in their and since it is help in place i was able to solder both the negative lead to my L shaped rod and the postive lead to the resistor rather easy.
Leds009.jpg

Followed by some hot glue to help keep things from shifting.
Leds017.jpg

Here is a side shot to show you how far my led stuck up. You will want to keep it as low as possible but i actually had more room to work with and could have made it stick up higher then this yet.
Leds018.jpg

Now for the rear wiper switch.
This switch uses a rubber holder to house the original bulb and the holder is pushed down onto nail which make connection. My Final product looks like this but i will describe what i had to do.
Leds019.jpg

Now that you see the holder i can better describe what to do. First remove the original bulb which has it leads snaked through the rubber holder. Then i inserted my led into the sport where the original bulb sat. Check picture for how it is wired up. I first bent the postive lead and cut it. I soldered the resistor to the postive lead then on the bottom. THe negative lead i bent go up the which the negative nail goes into.
Leds020-1.jpg

THis picture will show you how i snaked it threw. I think the picture will be eaiser to understand then me explaing. So Just follow the arrows
Leds019-1.jpg

ALso note that the end arrows are also where the nails poke through the holder to make the connection
And a top view as well
Leds023.jpg

Now that this one is done. All you have to do is push the holder back onto the nails and you should have light.

I hope some of you will find this helpful and if you need me to explain anything better let me know and i will do the best i can.

any pictures of the finished project?

Back