LED Light Bar Roof Mounted Check OUT!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED Light Bar Roof Mounted Check OUT!!

Reaction score
City, State
Quakertown PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04' Mounty
So I have been eying up LED light bars for a while now. While I like the ones mounted towards the windshield, theres no way im drilling into the pillars to install. So i came up with a mounting system that installs under the front roof rack brackets. There is NO drilling into the body required. In addition to the brackets, i made a bolt in bar with mounting tabs so i could mount different style of lights on if i so choose to. In Addition, ive made a custom switch panel that mounts over the factory garage door opener in the overhead console. Anyway, heres a bunch of pictures

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1696.jpg

IMAG1699.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

IMAG1707.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1711.jpg

IMAG17131.jpg

IMAG1712.jpg

IMAG1579.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks good,the bar that far back must be great for eliminating hood glare. Mine lights up my hood like crazy. Notice any whine from it?

There is no glare on the hood. I didn't get to drive it yet (it's down for timing chains) but I'm sure it will be noisy. Lol

There is no glare on the hood. I didn't get to drive it yet (it's down for timing chains) but I'm sure it will be noisy. Lol

Mine has a horrible sound,put some stick on weather stripping on the fins if it's making noises. Timing chain on the 4.6 or the 4.0?

So I have been eying up LED light bars for a while now. While I like the ones mounted towards the windshield, theres no way im drilling into the pillars to install. So i came up with a mounting system that installs under the front roof rack brackets. There is NO drilling into the body required. In addition to the brackets, i made a bolt in bar with mounting tabs so i could mount different style of lights on if i so choose to. In Addition, ive made a custom switch panel that mounts over the factory garage door opener in the overhead console. Anyway, heres a bunch of pictures

IMAG1700.jpg

IMAG1696.jpg

IMAG1699.jpg

IMAG1709.jpg

IMAG1707.jpg

IMAG1708.jpg

IMAG1711.jpg

IMAG17131.jpg

IMAG1712.jpg

IMAG1579.jpg
WHat size lights did you get? What and where did you get the bracket to attach to the stock roof rack? This is exactly what I want to do. I like the low profile look. Great Job!

It's a 36" bar. I had the brackets custom made. I have one more set I can make up now.

Eliminate the horrible wind noise! Have a cover made for it!
Btw in California it is a moving violation to drive a vehicle on the highway with offroad lights uncovered! That point against your license.

My wind noise is not bad at all. In PA you can get a ticket for the lights as well. But no points.

Finally got some lights. Have a 50" on the hood, just ordered a 24" for the bumper and two spit lights. Gonna relocate the 50" to the roof. I think the 1st gen explorer is square enough to make it look alright. We'lol see how it turns out when I finally make it home on the 26th of June.

Cant find a bracket for my 04 ford exlporer....... any ideas?

Most rough country universal are just fine. You will have to do a little bending to get them to fit correctly

I'd tuck it under the front cross bar (if you have them on hand) or flip it over so it's not sticking up so high.

The reason I like crossbar mount is you can put one below it AND another one above it thus get DOUBLE the light!

Would you be interested in selling your extra mounting brackets

I don't personally like the look of it back there, but big props for a very clean install! Nice job on the brackets.

I don't personally like the look of it back there, but big props for a very clean install! Nice job on the brackets.

I personally think they look dumb over the windshield, especially the curved ones. Not only that they cause glare on the windshield and light up the hood reflecting more light into the windshield causing your eyes to adjust to a lot of close up light causing you to not be able to see the dimmer light at a distance thus affecting how far you can see. Dumb all around IMO.

Best option, two on top (under and over front cross bar) and a shorter one mounted on top of the front bumper blow the grill.

Like so:
2njj8s4.jpg

Although I still prefer HID's. 5 round 100W HID floods on the roof rack bar + 2 round 100W HID spots on a front nerf bar will give you a drivable football stadium light.

Back