Led marker problem...why? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Led marker problem...why?

I just ordered 4 3157 LED superwhite marker bulbs for my ford explorer sport 99. I was running 4 superwhite bulbs that have the blue film on them from discount auto parts and when I put these bulbs in I was in love, they look SO nice. Well I installed the second bulb and i guess I put it in backwards because it blew a fuse and started smoking. I replaced the fuse and turned it the other way and it works fine. so i turn the lights on and these lights turn on fine but they smell really funny lik they are burning. so i turn the lights off and turn the turn signal on, the side with these bulbs in wont blink with the lights off but will blink with the lights on. So I just put everything back to how it was. Now is there any kind of upgraded harness or something I need to run these marker bulbs or what? I really love these bulbs and want them to work. Is there anyway I can make em work or am i out 45$?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Try a heavy duty turn signal flasher. If that doesn't work what you'll have to do is have the stock lamps trigger a relay that turns on the new lights, not wire them directly.

EDIT: I read your post wrong and thought you added additional turn signals. sorry.

You may need LED Load Equalizers. Since the LED bulbs you put in use less power than normal bulbs you need to make up for it. Here is a web site that sells them. autolumination.com I would suggest e-mailing Chris, the wesite owner. Tell him what you drive and what happened when you put them in. He also has get prices on other LEDs.

Perhaps a Variable load flasher. Sometimes the flashers have to be changed when using LEDs cause they draw less power and the regular flasher thinks a bulbs out and blinks fast.

Kemp, nice thought. Can i get these at discount auto parts? If so what would I ask for?

"Variable Load Flasher". Often used in trailer towing applications.

it may help that if you go to autozone they like to call it an "Electronic" flasher

how many do I need? and those will replace the flashers in the box under the hood on the driver side right?

There should only be one located under the dash. Turn on the turn signal and find out what is doing the clicking under the dash. Thats the flasher.

There are 2 flasher relays. One is behind the kick plate under the steering wheel. Its a bright yellow relay. The other is tucked up under the driver side fender. Just turn on the turn signal and follow the sound.

alrite thanks guys i guess i got a lot of hunting to do

Back