Left turn signal forgot how to do it's job? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Left turn signal forgot how to do it's job?

U235

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
I'm having quite a problem with my left turn signal... It literally forgot how to do it's job.

If I turn on my right turn signal, then the indicator flashes in my instrument panel, and both lights flash on the outside of the vehicle. However, if I turn on my left turn signal... It's as if I didn't. There is no indicator light in the instrument panel, no ticking noise to let you know your blinker is on, and no lights flashing outside of the vehicle. If I turn on my hazard lights, ONLY the right side lights flash outside of the truck, and only the right side indicator blinks in the control panel. I have checked the bulbs on the left side of the truck, they are fine. I've checked the fuses, they are fine.

Anyone know what the deal is with this? I'm at a loss, guys. I read something about the relay, but I'm not sure what that's all about.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You probably need to change the flasher relay. I think it's in the fuse box under the dashboard, above the driver's left foot (at least that's where it is on a 1st gen). It's round, about the size of a quarter, and maybe an inch thick. It controls blinker functions.

Any chance that you've noticed little "wisps" of smoke coming from the steering column occasionally? The multifunction switch (turn signal/ wiper stalk) is a known problem with the 2nd gen Explorers. They fail in all kinds of weird ways. Some smoke, some stop working on certain functions, some seem to be possesed by "the wiper monster".

A new switch should be about $50 at Autozone, or Rockauto.com

Definitely no smoke. However, the dial-type-deal-thing that controls the dome lights, if you guys know what I mean by that? Well, that has some loose electrics behind it, but it's been that way for the longest time, and has never affected the blinkers.

And, by "loose electrics", I mean that there was some sort of repairs done behind the dash, and it was sort of messed up when it was put back together. It still works fine, but every now and then it will lose it's connection, and the radio lights or instrument panel lights will die until I fidget with it again. I doubt this has anything to do with my problem.

Hahahaha, I yanked one from a junk yard and it had the wiper ghost.... problem was the connector on the switch got pulled a little bit when I adjusted my steering wheel.

Back