LHD to RHD conversion costs?

lynchy wa

Down Under Beer Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Albany, Western Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 LIMITED V8
G'day all, I hope this is in the right place. I was just wondering if anyone knows a rough ball park figure (within 1-2k) how much a LHD to Right Hand Drive conversion would be for a 2005 explorer or F 250 would be? Any comments appreciated, Cheers:chug:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hello, and will they let you drive a LHD vehicle there? I'm a mail carrier, and I drove my personal cars for 17 years from the opposite seat. Sit in the right seat and use one foot/hand to drive the left controls.

If you mean a mail vehicle conversion, there are companies that deal with adding the extra controls. To swap the dash and all else, that would be high, the cheapest way for that would be to have a RHD donor vehicle.

Thanks for the reply Don, sorry mate I didn't mean for 1-2k but within 1-2k of the conversion cost. An F 250 here 2006 model runs at about $80,000 for a 7.3 lt 4x4, so I'm trying to check out if I have the option of converting before she gets on the boat. Thanks again.

No worries Brooklyn, thanks mate.

Are you sure you're not looking to buy a Dodge Caravan?

Follow the leader, eh? :D

You know where you can Ram that brother:mattmoon::D:thumbsup: Down here we tow caravans, we don't drive them

Attachments

• IMG_4216Small.jpg
    IMG_4216Small.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,927

I'll take the shiela and the caravan then sell the caravan to pay for my conversion and take the bird camping. Will that work?

You know, that does work. Well done!!! :thumbsup:

I was just watching an episode of Car Crazy with Barry Maguire (of Maguire's Car Care Products)...

They were in New Zealand for an American Car Show and Cruise, they were talking to a guy that does the LHD to RHD conversions in NZ. While they were doing the interview, they had a `05-`10 Mustang dash in the backround that was being converted...they also had a new Camaro on the lift getting converted...they showed one of the workers welding up the firewall after making the changes to the dash.

I would see if you could find the show online somewhere, and watch the episode....they gave the name of the shop...

I saw the work that was being done. I know I could do it.....LOL

Ryan

How much do you want for that job mate?:D

Cheers for the info. There are blokes that do it here I'm just being a cheap arse and seeing if it was a cheaper option to do in the U.S. or over here.:chug:

I would not be surprised if all RHD parts are unavailable here to us. I'd bet they go from a factory straight to a port, and nobody can get any of it(unless they worked there).

Thanks guys.

...well, I am on the West Coast of the USA, there are 2 MAJOR (Tacoma & Seattle) sea ports 40 minutes from my house....

If I were to take on a project like that, you would STILL need to get the Explorer across the Pacific Ocean....what do that cost? USD$1,500?

What is the AU-USD exchange rate?

Ryan

...well, I am on the West Coast of the USA, there are 2 MAJOR (Tacoma & Seattle) sea ports 40 minutes from my house....

If I were to take on a project like that, you would STILL need to get the Explorer across the Pacific Ocean....what do that cost? USD$1,500?

What is the AU-USD exchange rate?

Ryan

exchange rate is pretty much dead even right now

I'm still in the planning/saving mode at the moment, just sussing out options.

But when I'm ready (not for a fair while!!) maybe we can have a yarn? Cheers Ryan for even thinking about it.

Back