• Register Today It's free!

Lift Gate Leaking/Close Issue

shawnyb34

Reaction score
City, State
Seymour, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer
Been on here for awhile and have been using the forums to help tie up some issues that I have had with my 1998 Explorer. Right now I am completely stumped with this gate issue. As you can see by the attached picture the gate will not latch properly. I am assuming that the problem has something to do with the gap spacing also showed in the picture. I would not be all that concerned if it wasn't leaking. Also I have a daughter who is in a wheelchair, so I have to slide it through the window instead of opening the entire gate. Hope maybe someone one here may know what is causing this issue. Thanks for your time
IMAG00391.jpg

Been on here for awhile and have been using the forums to help tie up some issues that I have had with my 1998 Explorer. Right now I am completely stumped with this gate issue. As you can see by the attached picture the gate will not latch properly. I am assuming that the problem has something to do with the gap spacing also showed in the picture. I would not be all that concerned if it wasn't leaking. Also I have a daughter who is in a wheelchair, so I have to slide it through the window instead of opening the entire gate. Hope maybe someone one here may know what is causing this issue. Thanks for your time
IMAG00391.jpg
I just went and looked at my 96,and looks like the headliner needs to come out at the back to access the hinge bolts. It looks like your gap is at least twice mine. Does the latch work at all? If it does, then probably adjusting the hinges just may be what you need to do.

I just went and looked at my 96,and looks like the headliner needs to come out at the back to access the hinge bolts. It looks like your gap is at least twice mine. Does the latch work at all? If it does, then probably adjusting the hinges just may be what you need to do.
I just noticed a dent in the top of the gate. Has the truck been rear ended?

No never been hit. However, it barely survived a hail storm last year with not even joking golf ball to tennis ball sized hail. You should see the hood. You wouldn't even believe it. Thanks for the help! I will try what you have suggested and let you know what i find.

Back