• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit Help

JWF505

Reaction score
City, State
La Crescenta, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 XLT 4x4
I have a 92 Xlt 4x4 4.0 V6. It has 4:25:1 gears on it, a tranny cooler, a oil cooler, a valentine police radar and i have 30' tires i want to put on. I was wondering what would be the best value for a lift kit. Im not planning on going to super hardcore places any time soon. A buddy of mine who owns a 72 CJ7 told me for what i want to do, 3" would safice. But hes a jeep owner so what would he know :) . But seriously, i dont intend to take the extreme hard trails, probably things very similar to MOAB and such. So if someone could reccomend to me a hight for the kit and what company makes the top quality kits that would be great, thanks.

JWF

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

4.25 gears? I thought the lowest they came from the factory was 4.10's and those are rare! I've never heard of 4.25's stock.

just wondering
cp

I think he meant 3.25 instead of 4.25. If anything, 3.73s.

CodePoet said:
4.25 gears? I thought the lowest they came from the factory was 4.10's and those are rare! I've never heard of 4.25's stock.

just wondering
cp

No, i had 3.27 on their stock the 4:25 is not stock. And also not cheap.

JWF

Brandon1993Sport said:
30 inch tires you want to put on? You can fit that without a lift, it probably came with 29s on it. Here's the off-road suspension forum where you'll find more answers about lifts:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=10

Hmmm i do have 29s on silly me, hmm so you actually think i could fit 30s in there? how about 34s cause those are what i really want just cant afford them yet

JWF

You can fit 31s stock with minor rubbing.

34's would require a large amount of lift and or trimming. Search the site there is a great write up about lift amount and tire size. I have never even heard of 4.25 gears. 4.10 and 4.56 are the closest common sizes. WHo makes them?

JWF505 said:
and i have 30' tires i want to put on.

JWF

WHOA!!! 30 footers!!!! :eek: Now those are some tires right there! :p Anyway, I have a '92 also and I put 31's on there with no problems at all. You'll be fine with no lift 30's. Later.

I saw that you mentioned the 4.25 gears in another thread. I have never heard of 4.25s for the Ford 8.8, only 4.10 to 4.33 (4.30 from a couple of manufacturers actually). Where did you get such gear ratios from?

Robb said:
I saw that you mentioned the 4.25 gears in another thread. I have never heard of 4.25s for the Ford 8.8, only 4.10 to 4.33 (4.30 from a couple of manufacturers actually). Where did you get such gear ratios from?

The 4x4 Doctor in Glendale California

JWF

TheRookie said:
34's would require a large amount of lift and or trimming. Search the site there is a great write up about lift amount and tire size. I have never even heard of 4.25 gears. 4.10 and 4.56 are the closest common sizes. WHo makes them?

oh beats me who makes em, they were just better than what i had so i had them installed. told the mechanic, these ones, ill be damned if i know who makes em

JWF

Now, if i am a total and complete moron, which i useally am. I may not have 4:25. You guys know a lot more than me and are questioning my 4:25. Well i had 4: something put on. Next time im buy a mechanic ill see what i actually had put on, but hot damn i could have sworn i had 4:25s

JWF

I sure hope he greased your hi-flow exhaust bearings too or else the fork in your left pinion axle will be screwed!

I sure hope he greased your hi-flow exhaust bearings too or else the fork in your left pinion axle will be screwed!
you do have to watch out for that

Hartman said:

I hope the guy who did it did that.

JWF

I hope you don't beleive that, if you do I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you too. Might want to get your blinker fluid checked also while your buying my property. :rolleyes:

You can fit 31's without a lift. I would put spacers up front and then an AAL or shackles in the rear for a little lift(almost 2") to make it stand out just a bit. :) You could go with a james duff 2.5" kit and that would look good too. Might even gain about 3" with that kit.

Joey p. said:
I hope you don't beleive that, if you do I have some ocean front property in Arizona I'd like to sell you too. Might want to get your blinker fluid checked also while your buying my property. :rolleyes:

You can fit 31's without a lift. I would put spacers up front and then an AAL or shackles in the rear for a little lift(almost 2") to make it stand out just a bit. :) You could go with a james duff 2.5" kit and that would look good too. Might even gain about 3" with that kit.

ok enough said, i got screwed

JWF

Back