Lift kit

Iowa_XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Des Moines, Ia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Ford Explorer XLT
C1F39B39-102C-480E-BB1A-4250C517A10B.jpeg
As it sits right now, my 1998 Explorer is bone stock. I am looking at doing a 3-4” lift with some 33” tires. I’m new to this, and was wondering if anybody knew of a good place to buy the lift. A decent lift at a decent price is what I’m looking for.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For our 2nd Gen Explorers they don't really have a Suspension lift anymore. You can how ever twist up the Torsion bars and do a Shackle and Add a leaf and do a Body lift to get 33's underneath her. There is a WEALTH of info on here just have to search and look to see what kind of lift you want to do on here. @gmanpaint did a Body lift and other mods on his explorer. @Starkman He did just a Torsion twist and add a leaf and shackles and has 33s under his Explorer. Just a matter of looking and all the build in this section or lift section in here. Just have to search just look around. I have done A LOT of reading and still in the air on what I want to do.

By the way a very clean looking explorer.

Thanks! I’m thinking I’ll do the torsion bars and shackles. Of course get it aligned after, but I’ve read that twisting the torsions can cause more wear on other parts.

Doing Any kind of modification will have more wear and tear on parts. That's What we pay for doing modifications on vehicles. Please our explorers are over 20 years old.

I am doing a body lift right now on my 98 mounty. I didnt buy the lift kit because it was over $200, I am making a lot of the pieces myself.

Thanks for all the help!

One more thing..... I would like to do new shocks before I do the warrior shackles and torsion lift. I’m looking at the Rancho RS9000XL. I am a little confused on buying them. I see I need to buy 2 of them for the front. But do those shocks fit the back too, or do I need to buy different ones for the back?

They make Rancho 9000s for the rear. It’s a different part, however.

Ok. I just wanted to make sure I buy the right stuff. Thank you!

Since you said a TT and shackles for lift, stock measures will work for you. They are good for up to 2" of suspension lift. Fronts and rear shocks are way different in lengths, and mounting styles. The RS9000xl is a great shock for mild use, I run them on the DD.

sweet! I don’t plan on doing any major off roading. I found the right ones for my Explorer on carid.com, but can’t seem to find the rear ones anywhere.

Thank you! Really appreciate it. Will probably order soon.

No problem.

Very slick looking Explorer.

Back