• Register Today It's free!

Lift Kit?

GranpaStrange

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
10 Explorer EB 4.0L
What's going on, Explorers? I want to lift my explorer about 3 inches, but I can't seem to find anything online except for leveling kits and I have a feeling the just slamming a leveling kit on there is going to damage something. I'm new to modifying so I might just not know where to look. If you need any info let me know and I'll send it over. I'm excited to start turning Dora into what I imagine she should be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The least complicated way to lift it would be a body lift. Suspension lifts on these trucks cause other problems.

The least complicated way to lift it would be a body lift. Suspension lifts on these trucks cause other problems.
Such as? I assume there will be a ton of parts that need to be replaced due to the new operating angles.
Is there an aftermarket suspension kit that is recommended to add a smoother/better ride?
Is there a particular body lift I should be on the lookout for? I want the best quality, even if it means paying more than a pretty penny.

Such as? I assume there will be a ton of parts that need to be replaced due to the new operating angles.
Is there an aftermarket suspension kit that is recommended to add a smoother/better ride?
Is there a particular body lift I should be on the lookout for? I want the best quality, even if it means paying more than a pretty penny.
I’m getting ready to do a suspension lift and level, 3 inches up front and 2 in the rear. I’m replacing the struts, sway bar bushings, end links, tie rods and most importantly the upper control arms with BTF custom upper control arms with Uni-ball ball joints for added strength. It’s the upper ball joints that suffer the most with a suspension lift. The upper control arms I bought will allow for proper wheel alignment after everything is lifted up. I’m running 265/70R17’s Ironman AT’s which I think look great even at stock height but I think the lift will really make it all look proper when it’s all done. I’m swapping out my running board for nerf bars too. Only bummer is that the upper control arms are about a month out, so unfortunately everything is just going to sit until they come.

I’m getting ready to do a suspension lift and level, 3 inches up front and 2 in the rear. I’m replacing the struts, sway bar bushings, end links, tie rods and most importantly the upper control arms with BTF custom upper control arms with Uni-ball ball joints for added strength. It’s the upper ball joints that suffer the most with a suspension lift. The upper control arms I bought will allow for proper wheel alignment after everything is lifted up. I’m running 265/70R17’s Ironman AT’s which I think look great even at stock height but I think the lift will really make it all look proper when it’s all done. I’m swapping out my running board for nerf bars too. Only bummer is that the upper control arms are about a month out, so unfortunately everything is just going to sit until they come.
Are you going with all BTF parts for the lift or just the upper control arm? How difficult, in your experience, is it to change these?

Are you going with all BTF parts for the lift or just the upper control arm? How difficult, in your experience, is it to change these?
The lift spacers are SDT that I bought from eBay they look like good quality, the struts are FCS that use a McPherson cartridge. The bushings are Moog, end links are Mevotech and tie rod ends are the heavy duty Proforged. I’ll be honest I’ve never removed my control arms before but they don’t look hard to swap out at all. 1A Auto has a how to video for the control arms as well as the struts and it truly looks like a no brainer if you’re fairly confident with a wrench. The only BTF part I was concerned with having were the control arms because I wanted my Ex to be able to be aligned properly plus have the strength of the Uni-ball ball joint. I don’t think the wheel spacers are necessary since I’m already running the 265/70R17 times and they don’t rub except on one side at full lock, I could probably make adjustments to the wheel well insert cover and I’d never hear the rubbing again but its fairly rare when it happens and doesn’t really bother me. The other part I’d recommend changing out if they’re still stock are the front hubs. My front left went bad at 100k and I swapped them both out for Timkin hubs. The stock hubs on these Ex’s seems to be a common fail part.

the only way to lift a Gen3/Gen4 explorer is with a strut spacer.... or body lift. There are no "suspension lifts" available. The rear axle through the frame sucks.

I did a 3" front/2" rear Supreme strut spacer lift a few months ago as well as BTF a-arms. Replaced the lower ball joints and tie rod ends while it was apart. Everything aligned fine and rides great. Just finished a 900 mile highway road trip and no problems.

Rancho offers lift struts but it’s only a 1.5in lift. I know they fit the gen 3’s, not sure about gen 4’s.

As far as i know, Rancho has discontinued the Gen4 lift struts, or at least the rear ones.

Back