Lift on xtended cab

X-1

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
native Floridian
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 sport
On a mazda or ranger xtended with a six inch lift does the drive shaft have to be lengthened?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

front or rear?

On the front Im pretty sure you wont and same fro the rear. However if I remember right the rear shaft in extra cabs is 2 a 2 piece and sometimes can be hard to get all teh ujoint angles right so they will cause vibration. You can have a driveshaft shop make up a new one piece to get rid of the 2 piece setup.

Matt

lift

Thanks for the response, this is for a friends 94 mazda and I am going to put a skyjacker class two on it for him. The other lifts I've done havw been with a one piece shaft in the rear, and I wasn't sure.:confused: He is going to be my guinea pig so to speak. I want to put the same kit on my explorer if all goes well.:D

Sorry to say that you'll have a vibration with that skyjacker lift, I had a 4" superlift and had to have a one
piece shaft made. I went from the 4" superlift to the
6" skyjacker class 2 kit to the current setup I have now
(9" straight axle conversion) and I still have no vibs.
I hope your buddy doesnt have as many probs with
alignment as i did after I installed the skyjacker kit.

6"

lift is on, looks great except truck is raked. Could not fit 33's on front, suspecting skyjacker sent four inch springs instead of six inch. Slight vibration at low rpms, alignment went okay, anybody have any problems with install on front? Or experiences that may help me out?

hmmmm,
I'd call Skyjackers techline and see what they say about the raked situation you have. As for the vibration i'd check the angle on the diff housing then
the driveshaft itself. From what i've been told, they should be within one degree of eachother.
Even a slight vibration might blow a u joint down the road especially if you plan on wheelin' with it.
Keep us posted.

6"

Yeah, tried to call today but they had already closed. The instructions were for a four inch kit, and the front shocks sit really short, not much boot showing, I did find that fully extended the coils are 18", the stocks measured 13" and I would be willing to bet that the stock ones were 14" new, as for the vibration, I think the carrier bearing is wore out, looked like the rubber was getting weak, so that will be replaced. So tomarrow I will try again, and I will post what I find.

I just dawned on me to measure my coils since i'm using
6" coils from the class 2 kit as well.
I'll get you a measurement at ride height so that will give you something to go by and hopefully help you out.
I have a 97 supercab ranger, so hopefully there isnt too
much of a weight difference between mine and yours.
Catch you later,
Dave

6"

That would help, I talked to skyjacker and they said that the springs should measure about 18 7/8 th's fully extended. The ones on the truck were only about 18 inchs, so they are sending another set. Will keep you posted.

I've got a measurement of 16 inches...thats the installed
length, i'm asuming that the 18 and 7/8 inch measurement is what they are right out of the box.
Makes me wonder if they sent you springs for a regular
cab kit if theres only a 7/8 difference.
hope you get it worked out.

Update,
Skyjacker sent new springs, but they were the same, still having a problem with the 33's rubbing on a hard right turn. Never thought I would see a 33 rub under a six inch lift! Anyway decided to go higher by installing a 3" body lift. As far as the vibration, I am going to lower carrier mount 2" that should solve that. Hopefully after this weekend this project will be done.:D

I'm assuming the rubbing is on the radius arms from the tires on a hard turn, I had that problem and still do.
if you are planning on getting different wheels i'd suggest going with 15x8 with 3 1/2 in of backspacing.
That should give you a better turing radius. I dont know what wheels you are running now but anything shallower than that backspacing such as a 15x8 with 4 1/2 in backspacing will rub. Your tires will stick out a little beyond the fenders but some dont mind the comprimise not to mention it'll be more stable.
Let us know how the carrier situation works out,
Dave

http://photos.yahoo.com/splitimageone

Okay, late up-date on project mud duck. The rubbing was from a bent I-beam on the passenger side ford wanted 650.00 for a new one. Bend was only a little so we opted for a caster adjustment. We did raise the truck another 3" with a P.A. body lift, now thw 33's look small. Also added a composite 1/2" spacer under the coils to level truck, and zeroed out the camber. Total lift now is 10", now he can go with 35's without trimming, mostly mud around here not much rock flexing. Haven't had a chance to fix driveshaft, but thinking I will lower carrier mount about 1-1/2" that should solve vibration problem. I will post again when I solve this problem.
Thanks to all that gave input, ford suspension is new to me.

Back