Lifter replacement - pull head or not?! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Lifter replacement - pull head or not?!

toyotaspeed90

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Multiple
So.... my lifters/pushrods/rockers are making a terrible noise when the oil has about 500+ miles on it.... defnitely head clatter noise... not a rod knock.

Ordered the parts (since this is a wheeler/tow rig I also will be installing an aftermarket oil pressure & water temp gauges that show actual numbers)...

so I ordered a complete head set with head bolts
hydraulic roller lifters
deltacams pushrod & rocker assembly (hardened) kit

Set me back about... oh $400 or so?

In any event as you can see I was expecting to pull the heads based on what I've been reading. I was looking around to see if I could find a manual (of sorts) electronically before buying one - I've heard that the intake manifolds have a tendency to break or bend if not removed & reinstalled per the correct procedure....

Upon my search I came across this...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323

so has anyone completely removed the lifters with the heads still in place? In the thread referenced... there's a photo of the lifters 1/2 out with the heads in place.

I was holding off on doing the work until I had our boat back together and the engine out of my corolla (need the hoist for the corolla and the outdrive is dangling from the hoist) - but if the procedure isn't quite as entailed as I thought then I might get started...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh... i should add... Deltacams hasn't updated their website but the core went up to $100... apparently nobody was sending them back at $40 and they're currently out of cores.

So.... my lifters/pushrods/rockers are making a terrible noise when the oil has about 500+ miles on it.... defnitely head clatter noise... not a rod knock.

Ordered the parts (since this is a wheeler/tow rig I also will be installing an aftermarket oil pressure & water temp gauges that show actual numbers)...

so I ordered a complete head set with head bolts
hydraulic roller lifters
deltacams pushrod & rocker assembly (hardened) kit

Set me back about... oh $400 or so?

In any event as you can see I was expecting to pull the heads based on what I've been reading. I was looking around to see if I could find a manual (of sorts) electronically before buying one - I've heard that the intake manifolds have a tendency to break or bend if not removed & reinstalled per the correct procedure....

Upon my search I came across this...

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=278323

so has anyone completely removed the lifters with the heads still in place? In the thread referenced... there's a photo of the lifters 1/2 out with the heads in place.

I was holding off on doing the work until I had our boat back together and the engine out of my corolla (need the hoist for the corolla and the outdrive is dangling from the hoist) - but if the procedure isn't quite as entailed as I thought then I might get started...
I take it you are talking about the 4.0 OHV engine. Yes, you will have to pull the heads to remove the lifters. That being said, I had the same noise on my 96. Replacing the rockers and pushrods on the left bank cured the noise. When I get the money, I still need to do the right bank. Hope this helps you. By the way, I have read somewhere, and seen, inserts you can put in the rockers, so you don't have to replace them. But I think I would rather replace the rockers.

my, and others here, experience with delta rockers wasnt good. the rockers were very soft, and the tolerances went way out very quickly. Go Ford, or Sealedpower.

yes, it's a 4.0 OHV engine.....

for anyone who has done the lifters - where on the head did the lifters get caught up? The post I included a link to shows the lifters 1/2 out on all valves on a 4.0 OHV engine.

You have to pull the heads to get the lifters out. I changed my lifters becuase i thought i had a bad lifter and it was a 15 dollar rocker arm. Try sea foam first before pulling the heads it might a stuck lifter.

If you can pull the lifters out without pulling the heads, something is horrible wrong. There are a vouple of lifters that the head is clearly in the way of.

With the ticking, my moneys on the rocker arm/push rods. These motors wear quite a bit more in this area than other areas. It could be a sticking lifter , but odds are better its a rocker arm and push rod issue. If the motor was running with no other issues other than the tick, its way easier to replace the puch rods and rockers to see if the tick goes away.

Replacing the lifters means pulling lower intake, and heads. This is quite a bit more work.

btw, in the thread you posted in the top of this one, he just wires the lifters up (Since he cant pull them out without pulling the heads) to get them out of the way so he can pull the cam out the front. On the ford 4.0 OHV you can not pull the lifters right out unless you pull the heads.

i just need to change the very front lifter on the drivers side 1991 4.0.its in an aerostar so i REALLY don't want to pull the head.anyone know if that one will clear the head?

Off with its head!
Sorry.

Ain't no way your getting those bad boys out w/out removing the heads.

71254d1439756836-93-4-0-bad-lifter-truck-004.jpg

Back