• Register Today It's free!

Liftgate Handle Function

Kirkules

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
My '97 EX liftgate (& glass) stopped opening after a parking lot bump dented th edrivers side gate about 1/2 inch. I was able to remove the inner panel & open the Gate & glass easily by moving the rods. Comparing to pics of new handles mine appears to be OK. I can't figure out how the handle connects with the linkage to open the gate. My Chilton manual doesn't really have anything on it. Anyone have suggestions, good picks of the handle (to make sure I don't have a piece broken off) or anything? Is the latch control assembly plate supposed to be straight, or does it bend toward the front of the truck?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i think since both the glass and liftgate wont open its a lock actuator problem.
can you hear it engaging when you unlock/lock ?
i had the connector to the actuator come off once and i couldnt unlock it.
more details on the handle ex: is it loose and floppy? same as before?
the plate is straight IIRC, and its pretty easy to see if somethings come undone
good luck

The electric unlocking seems to work fine. I can hear it & the button pops up. The handle is actually pretty stiff, but will turn 360 degrees in either direction. My plate is bent toward the front of the truck. That could very easily explain the problem. It may be just bent out of reach of the handle. I think everything is still attached. I was trying to see if something attached to the end of the handle, but I am beginning to see that it may swing freely between two levers & just push on the appropriate one.

yeah that sounds like it. didnt see its a 97, if you still need pics i have a 97 liftgate sitting in my basement i can dismantle if you want.
let me know

Don't worry about taking apart the '97 gate. Thanks for the offer though. Your answer on the plate being straight solved my problem. I straightened it out this morning with a crowbar and everything is working great!

Thanks again.

2000 Explorer liftgate stuck

I need to hijack this thread for some help. I have 2000 Explorer and the liftgate will not open. The window opens fine and the liftgate handle has no tension in it at all so I suspect the handle needs replacement . And of course the liftgate is stuck closed. I got the inner panel out of the way, but can't figure out how to release the latch so the gate will open. There are 2 horizontal rods going from the mechanism to each side of the gate. I tried pushing and pulling on both rods in hopes that the latch would open. There isnt any play in either of the rods, and they wont move side to side.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

I need to hijack this thread for some help. I have 2000 Explorer and the liftgate will not open. The window opens fine and the liftgate handle has no tension in it at all so I suspect the handle needs replacement . And of course the liftgate is stuck closed. I got the inner panel out of the way, but can't figure out how to release the latch so the gate will open. There are 2 horizontal rods going from the mechanism to each side of the gate. I tried pushing and pulling on both rods in hopes that the latch would open. There isnt any play in either of the rods, and they wont move side to side.

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

These lift gate handles are known for rusting. So no tension when you pull handle and gate wont open

Back